| Java Edition version history
| ◄ 1.0 • 1.1 • 1.2.1 ►
1.1 was a major update released on January 12, 2012. It added new languages, the superflat world type, beaches, and Spawn Eggs.
- 56 new languages, including fictional languages like Quenya, Klingon, and Pirate Speak.
- Server.properties has 3 new settings:
- Superflat world type option – generates completely flat worlds composed of grass blocks, dirt, and bedrock.
- Beaches were re-added as a separate biome instead of a generated structure
- Creative Mode-exclusive spawn eggs added.
- Spawns mobs when right-clicked on a block.
- 20 types of spawn eggs, each spawning their respective mob:
- Mooshroom, Creeper, Skeleton, Spider, Zombie, Slime, Ghast, Villager, Zombie Pigman, Enderman, Pig, Cave Spider, Sheep, Cow, Silverfish, Blaze, Chicken, Magma Cube, Squid, and Wolf.
- Servers now auto-kick non-operator users if they spam in chat too much. Operators are not notified of the kick.
- Brewing time decreased from 30 seconds to 20 seconds.
- Enchanting level possibilities narrowed.
- Void fog removed in creative mode.
- Biomes improved:
- Smoothed color transitions.
- More varied elevations.
- Taigas now contain Snow and Ice.
- Village blacksmith buildings now have a chest that contains loot.
- Bows have 4 enchantments: Power, Punch, Flame, and Infinity.
- Arrows that are burning now set mobs and other entities on fire when hit.
- New Golden Apple recipe now uses Gold Nuggets and provides Regeneration I for 5 seconds, as well as healing 2 hunger points.
- Collision box removed from ladders.
- Fence Gate collision box changed, and also can be opened and closed with redstone.
- Oak leaves now have a 1/200 chance to drop apples.
- Melons and Pumpkins now grow on dirt instead of only farmland.
- Wheat now attracts mobs from 8–9 blocks away instead of 2–3 blocks.
- With the exception of music disc 11, a creeper that is shot and killed by a skeleton now drops music discs.
- Improved mob AI – would not be added immediately, but allows for more complicated behavior than before.
- Sheep can eat Grass and Tall Grass, and regrow their wool. They also drop 1–3 wool per shearing.
- Magma cubes now drop Magma Cream upon death