Update 1.8 (officially called The Bountiful Update) was initially released on September 2, 2014. This large update added many mapmaking and survival features.
- New statistics: distance traveled while crouched, distance traveled while sprinting, and how long since a player's last death.
- New achievement: Overpowered
- Sea Lanterns
- Dark Prismarine
- Prismarine Bricks
- Slime Blocks
- Iron Trapdoors
- Polished Diorite
- Polished Andesite
- Polished Granite
- Coarse Dirt
- Wet Sponge
- Targets all entities
- Gives the block at the specified coordinates the data in <dataTag>.
- Copies the area within the first two set of coordinates and pastes it at the third.
- Executes <command> at the location of <player or entity>, relative to <z> <y> <z>.
- Fills the between the 2 coordinates with <block Name>. If replace is used for oldBlockHandling, the next parameter tells what block <block Name> should be replaced.
- Displays the particle <name> at <x> <y> <z>, viewable only by [player] (if specified) [count] times at the specified <speed> and <dx> <dy> <dz>. See Particles for a list of particles.
- /replaceitem <entity/block> (replaces the items in either a player's or the entity's inventory)
- Changes scoreboard settings/options with the used parameters. See Scoreboard for more details.
- Compares two areas' blocks. Gives all block ids, data values, and data tags (except for coordinate tags for the block entity) must match.
- Adds or sets <value> to the <objective> for a player. It proves useful in tellraw texts as it is non-op friendly.
- Sets an impassible border that is <size> blocks as its area, and is centered on a location when "/worldborder center" is used. Any mobs outside of the box will gradually take damage.
- Whether to log admin commands to server logs.
- Whether a message appears in the chat when a player dies.
- randomTickSpeed [value]
- How often a random block tick occurs (e.g. plant growth, leaf decay, etc.) per chunk section per game tick.
- Prismarine Shards
- Prismarine Crystals
- Cooked Mutton
- Raw Mutton
- Rabbit Hide
- Rabbit Stew
- Raw Rabbit
- Cooked Rabbit
- Rabbit's Foot
- NBT Tags
- 33 new splashes
- The difficulty of each world is unique to only that world.
- The difficulty can be locked in specific worlds to prevent the difficulty from being changed.
- Superflat worlds can now be customized.
- This is the longest wait for a major update to Minecraft, since the last version was released on October 25, 2013, 253 days ago.
- 1.3.1 had the previous longest development version, with a release on August 1, 2012, 153 days after the release of 1.2.1.
- This is also the longest development to a major update in the history of Minecraft, with the first snapshot coming out on January 9, 2014, 177 days ago.
- The previous longest was also 1.3, with 111 days from the first snapshot to the final release.