1.9 (also referred to as The Combat Update) was an update for Minecraft, released on February 29, 2016.
Weapons & Combat
- New "tipped" arrows, which apply Potion or status effects.
- New "spectral" arrows that create a glowing outline around the target, making them visible to the attacker through any Blocks.
- Axes do more damage, but swing slower.
- Weapon damage is now dependent on an attack strength bar that is depleted when a player swings, and regenerates over time. The more the bar is filled, the more damage a player will do.
- Added Shields, which block attacks when a player right clicks. Axes have a chance of disabling the shield for 5 seconds. a player can combine a Banner and a shield to make the shield have the banner's design and colors on it.
- New "sweep attack" when attacking with a Sword while crouching or standing. It can knockback multiple enemies at once.
- Dual-wielding. If a player puts an item in the off-hand slot, they can use it by right clicking, and typing F (that is the default button) switches the main-hand and off-hand items.
- Mobs now give off particles when hit that show how much damage was done to them.
- New items called Lingering Potions. They are thrown like splash potions, but create a cloud affecting anyone who walks through it.
- There is a new Igloo structure in Snow Plains.
- A new End City and End Ship structures in the outer End.
- New Chorus Plant Trees.
- Now up to 128 strongholds generate per world.
- New End Gateways that spawn after killing the Ender Dragon. a player must use an Ender Pearl to go through it.
- The inner End is now more like the Console Edition.
- Purpur Blocks in the End.
- Frosted Ice
- Grass Path, created by right clicking a grass block with a shovel.
- Decorative Dragon Head blocks in the End.
- New Structure Blocks that are used by developers and only placed using /setblock command.
- Elytra, which are wings that can be used to glide and are obtained in The End.
- End Rods in the End.
- A new plant called Beetroot, which can be grown with Beetroot Seeds, or made into Beetroot Soup.
- New items called Ender Crystals that can be used to re-summon the Ender Dragon.
- Golden Apples and armor have been re-balanced.
- There are new mobs called Shulkers, new mobs that spawn in End Cities.
- There are now Skeleton Horses, which is a Skeleton on top of an undead Horse.
- If a player Shears a Snow Golem, its Pumpkin will come off of its head.
- Wearing a certain mob head will allow a player to get a bit closer to that type of mob before it starts chasing them.
- Now Blaze Powder is needed to operate a Brewing Stand.
- It is no longer possible to craft Enchanted Golden Apples, but they may still be found rarely within chests.
- Added new enchantment (Frost Walker), which creates solid frost blocks when walking over Water.
- Some enchantments have been re-balanced.
- New sound effects and sound effect subtitles