Abandoned Mine Shafts are usually filled with cobwebs with many cave spiders, and contain at least one monster spawner. Abandoned Mine Shafts are also rich with ore such as iron, gold, and sometimes hold lapis lazuli, diamonds, and very rarely, emeralds. The 'shafts' are made of wooden planks. Abandoned Mine Shafts provide a very good source of wood while the player mines underground.
About a Mine Shaft
There are chests spread throughout Abandoned Mine Shafts that can contain resources such as gold and iron ingots, ores, food, or seeds. Some items such as rails and ores are found during the excavation in the shaft. Items such as diamonds, wood, and rails are rare to find in chests. On occasion abandoned mine shafts can connect to strongholds and dungeons. Abandoned Mine Shafts are a greatly generated structure. Beginners should try and find an Abandoned Mine Shaft in underground ravines.
Exploring a mineshaft could be quite dangerous, otherwise beneficial. Be sure you have the following:
- A sword: Can fight those hostile mobs that spawn.
- A pickaxe, there still could be ores!
- Buckets of milk, these can help cure poison.
- Food, to eat of course.
- Cheap blocks, such as cobble so that you can pillar jump.
- Shears, make sure you grab all that string on cobwebs!
- Armor, obviously for protection.
- Torches, to make sure you don't get lost.
- Lapis Lazuli
- Redstone Dust
- Iron Ingot
- Gold Ingot
- Melon Seeds
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Iron Pickaxe
- Golden Apple
- Wood planks
- In the 1.8 Pre-Release 1 and 2, support beams in mines were only made of planks. Fences were added later in the 1.8 version.
- The design is similar in design to that of Lanayru Mining Facility from The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.
- The seed 19961023 actually sets you right above an Abandoned Mine Shaft. Just dig down from your starting position and you'll find it.
- All abandoned mine shafts have a companion cavern that follows it.
- It is possible for mine shafts to pass through ravines and be exposed.
- Mine shafts can intersect with a dungeon or stronghold, although this is very rare.
- A glitch causes a mine shaft to be floating in the sky when using the preset Desert but it's rare.
- Even when you're in Normal, mine shafts can be above ground to cause a lightning glitch and spawn mobs in daytime.
- There can be as much as four Cave Spider spawners at once in one area.
- In Minecraft: Pocket Edition Version 0.10.0, there are above-ground mine shafts in Mesa Biomes.