An abandoned mineshaft.
On foot, digging, or other usual means of travel
Multiple hallways and shafts supported by wooden frames, broken Railways
Abandoned Mineshafts are naturally generated structures that were added in Beta 1.8, along with Strongholds. They were also added in TU5 for the Xbox 360 Edition and 0.9.0 for Minecraft: Pocket Edition.
Abandoned Mineshafts are usually filled with cobwebs and many cave spider spawners. Entrances to the spawner rooms are filled with cobwebs, so it's best to bring some Shears. Abandoned Mineshafts are also rich with ores such as iron, gold, sometimes lapis lazuli, diamonds, and, very rarely, Emeralds. The support beams are made of wooden planks and fences. Abandoned Mineshafts provide a very good source of wood while the player mines underground. There is a rare chance that mineshafts will generate inside of a Ravine and intersect said ravine.
There are chests (in Minecarts as of 1.5) throughout the Abandoned Mineshafts that can contain resources, such as gold, iron ingots, ores, food, or seeds. Some items, such as rails and ores, can be found during the excavation in the shaft. Items, such as diamonds, wood, and rails, are rare to find in chests. On occasion, abandoned mine shafts can connect to Strongholds or dungeons. Abandoned Mineshafts are a naturally generated structure. Beginners should try to find an Abandoned Mineshaft in underground ravines. The Pocket Edition did not have chests in Mineshafts until 0.14.0.
Exploring a mineshaft can be quite dangerous but otherwise beneficial. Be sure one has the following:
- An iron or diamond Sword to fight any hostile mobs that spawn.
- An iron or diamond Pickaxe to mine the ores one may find.
- Some Buckets of Milk. (These can help cure Poison caused by Cave spiders.)
- Food to replenish hunger and to enable health regeneration.
- Easy to find blocks like Cobblestone or Dirt, so that one can make pillars or bridges if necessary.
- Shears to collect the String from the cobwebs.
- Armor to protect one from fall damage or hostile mobs.
- Torches to mark one's path and to prevent mobs from spawning.
- If possible, bring Potions to help give one the upper hand in mob combat, preferably bring potions of strength, regeneration, or splash potions of instant health.
- Lapis Lazuli
- Redstone Dust
- Iron Ingot
- Gold Ingot
- Melon Seeds
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Iron Pickaxe
- Golden Apple
- Wood planks
- In the Beta 1.8 Pre-Release 1 and 2, support beams in mines were only made of planks. Fences were added later in the Beta 1.8 version.
- All abandoned mineshafts have a companion cavern that follows it.
- Mineshafts intersecting a dungeon or stronghold are more common in the console editions because worlds are much smaller, and they provide less area for the structures to generate separately.
- A rare glitch can cause a mineshaft to be floating in the sky when using the preset Desert for a superflat world.
- In Minecraft: Pocket Edition Version 0.10.0, there are above-ground mine shafts in Mesa biomes.
- These Mineshafts are made out of dark oak planks, and they mainly contain gold ore as treasure.
- Turning on subtitles on Minecraft can yield a subtitle saying minecart rolling which can be useful in finding mineshafts.