Armor (or Armour) is a special type of item used for protection. Armor can be crafted out of Leather, Iron, Gold, and Diamond. There is also Chainmail armor, which could be crafted with Fire (the only way to obtain this is with the give command) until the 1.8 update. Armor reduces the amount of damage taken by the wielder. However, armor will not protect you from all types of damage such as fall damage or drowning, unless you have the right enchantments. Armor is not only limited to be worn by the player, but can also be equipped by undead monsters, excluding the Wither (all skeletons and zombies). It may also be naturally spawned on them. However, horse armor cannot be crafted. Armor goes into 4 special slots inside your inventory. One slot for helmets, chestplates, leggings and boots. Lastly, there is Elytra, a pair of wings that allow you to glide.
There are four different types of craftable armor: Chestplates, Helmets, Pants, and Boots. All types of armor can be equipped as well as enchanted. However, only certain armor types can obtain certain enchants without the use of an Enchanted Book.
Armor TypesThere are five types of armor: Leather, Gold, Chain, Iron, and Diamond.
Leather is used to craft the first tier of armor. It has very low durability, and a full set of leather armor only absorbs 28% of damage, so it is not very practical in battle. However, one unique ability of leather armor is that it can be dyed by combining dyes with it in a Crafting Table (dyed through cauldrons in the
Pocket Edition). It is also the only armor to have unique names for each armor piece: Instead of being called Leather helmet, Leather Chestplate, and Leather Leggings, They are called Leather Cap, Leather Tunic, and Leather Pants. The boots, however, are just called Leather Boots.
Golden Armor is the second tier of armor. It has slightly higher durability than leather, but is still pretty fragile. A full set of gold armor will absorb 44% of damage, and it is also the most enchantable tier of armor, just as golden tools are the most enchantable tier of tools.
- Main article: Chain Armor
Chainmail is the third tier of armor. it is easily accessible in Creative, and can not be obtained in survival mode besides Trading with villagers, or killing a Zombie or Skeleton that has chainmail armor. Chainmail is only slightly stronger than Gold, but has the durability of Iron. Even though Chainmail Armor exists in the files of the Pocket Edition, it is unobtainable without the use of hacks or mods.
Iron armor is the fourth tier, and second strongest type of Armor in vanilla Minecraft. While Iron Armor has high durability, and a full set will absorb 60% of damage.Strangely, it is the least enchantable type of Armor. Iron armor can be worn by Mobs, but this is very rare.
Diamond armor is the fifth and strongest tier of armor in vanilla Minecraft. Diamond Armor is more than twice as durable as Iron or Chainmail Armor, and a full suit will absorb 80% of damage. Also, as with Iron Armor, it can be worn by mobs, but they extremely rarely spawn with it.
Main article; ElytraElytra is a special piece of armor, since it gives no armor value, but allows you to glide. Pressing the jump key while fallin activates them. Elytra can be obtained in End Ships, which sometimes generated alongside End Cities in an Item Frame in the hull.
Armor can appear as loot in chests:
- Unenchanted golden chestplates can be found in Nether Fortresses.
- Enchanted iron and diamond armor can be found sometimes in End City chests, with all eight types being equally likely.
- In Stronghold and Village blacksmith chests (although twice as often in the latter), unenchanted iron armor can be found, with all four types being equally likely.
It takes 24 units of any of the previously-mentioned materials to make a full set of armor(4+5+7+8=24). Although a player may mix and match the types of armor they have equipped, each piece must be crafted of only one of the valid types of material. For example, a player could wear a Leather Helmet with an Iron Chestplate, but you cannot craft a chestplate out of both iron and leather.
Note that chestplates provide the most protection per unit of material, followed by leggings, helmets, then boots. The more units of material, the more protection per unit of material. The exact ratio varies between different materials.
- The armor breaking animation and sounds sometimes doesn't happen in Multiplayer.
- If you are sitting in a minecart with armor pants on, and open your Inventory, or change point of view, your legs will be in a sitting position, but your armor will be a standing position. However this can be fixed by removing any bottom piece of armor and then replacing them.
- The first ever texture for the Leather Armor was taken from Notch's game The Legend Of The Chambered.
- The Leather Armor had three different textures. The first one was the texture that was taken from The Legend Of The Chambered. During the snapshots of 1.4, it changed to look darker to see the dyed armor better. In the official Minecraft 1.4 release, it changed to have non-dyed parts. This was done so that players could distinguish between other type of armor.
- In Minecraft Indev, the Leather Armor was known as the Cloth Armor or Wool Armor. It was known that way because the crafting recipe for the Leather Armor was made with Wool instead of Leather. This was probably due to the fact that the Cow was not added in Minecraft Indev.
- In Minecraft Classic, Notch tested Armor models in Zombies and Skeletons. Chestplates and Helmets were the only types of armor available. However, the armor was for testing purposes, so they did not give any effect to the gameplay.
- Studded Armor were several armor sprites that were added in Minecraft Indev. They were also taken from Notch's unfinished game The Legend Of The Chambered, along with the Leather Armor. It was never added into the game, and they were later removed from the game files.
- There is a small chance that Leather Boots can be obtained while fishing. This is an Easter Eggs reference to the videogame The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess, where Link can fish out an old boot.
- Golden Armor has a higher chance of getting better enchants in the Enchantment Table.
- Almost all the mobs in the game have an Armor value.