|Dropped by||Zombies (If it is holding one), Skeletons (If it is holding one), Vindicators|
|First Appearance||PE 1.2.2|
|Data Values||Hex: |
Axes are tools used to speed up the process of collecting wood-type blocks.
Axes are made from 5 different materials (from lowest to highest Durability):
Wooden axes appear in most Bonus Chest, which also have stone axes on occasion. Stone axes also appear in some Igloo basements, and an Efficiency I iron axe appears in some Woodland Mansion rooms. Weapon Smith Villagers sell iron axes for 6-8 emeralds, and enchanted diamond axes for 9-12 emeralds. Alternatively, they can be made in a Crafting Table in the following arrangement:
As a tool
The primary role of an Axe is to quicken the collection of wood and wood-type blocks. The Player may choose to do this by hand, but at a severely reduced pace. The most common type of crafted axe is probably the iron axe, as iron is a strong material that can be found in abundance. A gold axe can mine wood and wood items the quickest by far, but it has much lower durability.
What it can cut
- Wooden Planks, Stairs and Slabs
- Crafting Tables
- Wooden Doors and Trapdoors
- Wooden Fences and fence Gates
- Wooden Buttons
- Wooden Pressure plates
- Daylight Detector
- Chests and Trapped Chest
As a Weapon
Axes deal more damage than Swords, so the axe is a viable alternative as a weapon. However, there are two drawbacks to using it as a weapon, opposed to a tool:
- Attacking with an axe (or using it to mine a non-wood block) will cause it to take double durability damage.
- The recovery time between swings of the axe is longer than that of a sword.
- As of Minecraft 1.9, axes are the strongest weapon. In fact, a wooden axe does the same attack damage as a diamond sword.
- Axes used to be double sided(Verify).