|Health Points:||6HP (3x )|
|Location:||Dark areas, such as Caverns|
Bats are passive mobs that spawn naturally in caverns or other large enclosed spaces.
Bats will spawn in large caverns and caves. They can also be spawned with their Spawn Egg. Bats may spawn in an unlit house if its interior is large enough.
On superflat worlds, Bats have been observed to spawn in even 1x1 spaces that are unlit, such as in mob traps, possibly because the code that spawns them cannot find any other place to spawn them. This indicates that Bats do not require a large cave to spawn, but large areas do have a much higher chance of causing them to spawn. Bats will not spawn on glass or slabs, but could spawn randomly in one's world if the light level is low enough and the Bat doesn't have enough spawning space.
Bats are the fourth smallest mob in the game visually, being only slightly larger than baby chickens, Silverfish and Endermites. They are hard to see in the cave areas in which they reside. They have dark brown skin, small wings, and little feet.
- Bats have the least impact on gameplay out of any mob as they aren't hostile and do not drop any items. They are, however, very difficult to hit when trying to kill them because of their small frames and erratic movement.
- Many bats can spawn in a small area when there is no where else to spawn. Examples of this can be in creative mode if a small player-made overhang is created.
- Bats are the only passive mob that can spawn in caves.
- Bats can be found hanging on the ceilings of caverns when they are not flying.
- Bats are one of the two flying mobs tha spawn naturally in the Overworld, the other being the Parrot.
Bats were added in 12w38a update, also known as the Pretty Scary update. Bats were included into the Pocket Edition in 0.11.0.