|First Appearance||Beta 1.3 (Computer)|
0.4.0 (Pocket Edition)
|Type of Block||Utility Block|
|Tool Used||Any tool|
|Data Values||Hex: 163(Item)|
Beds are a crafted utility block that a Player can sleep in.
Sleeping in a bed will change the world time to Dawn, if all players within the Minecraft world are sleeping. It will also set your spawn point to right next to the Bed. The spawn point is not tied to the bed itself; the game checks for a bed's presence when the player dies, and acts accordingly. This allows for the bed to be moved and still preserve the spawn point, so long as a bed is still nearby at the time of death.
There are four occasions when Beds cannot be slept in:
- If it is Daytime
- If there are hostile Mobs nearby
- If there is another player already sleeping in the bed
- If the Bed is within the Nether or End
The first three situations will result in a message stating that you are unable to sleep in the bed. If you are in the Nether or End, instead of a message, your bed will explode when you try to sleep in it. The bed will be destroyed, as well as any blocks within about a four-block radius around it. Nearby blocks may also be lit on Fire. The explosion itself will kill the player who tried to sleep in the bed, and possibly any other players or mobs who happened to be in close proximity to the explosion.
|Wood Planks||Wood Planks||Wood Planks|
- It is possible to destroy a bed while you are on it by simply aiming slightly downward. After you do, though, touching a 2x1 wall or ceiling will cause damage, and walking into a corner will show suffocation. This will continue until you go back to sleep for the night.
- The exploding bed is a reference to one of the lyrics in Notorious B.I.G's song "Suicidal Thoughts".
- During the Beta version, if you place your bed near a wall, a Zombie or a Skeleton will spawn beside you, though it couldn't attack you. This glitch was removed in Beta 1.9 pre-1.
- Sleeping in a bed with an opaque block directly above it will result in suffocation.
- In the Minecraft: PE code, there is a block which is half a Bed. It can only be obtained through mods in creative.
- If you destroy the blocks beneath the bed, the bed will float in the air.
- You can use any type of wood and wool, and you will still get the normal bed.
- In 1.12 (upcoming), beds can be created in the 16 regular colors, as opposed to just red.
- The Sky Dimension was a planned dimension in Minecraft, intended to be the opposite of the Nether. To get there, you would sleep, and there would be a chance you would go..
- Sleeping in a bed with a mob head above will place your POV inside the head.
- You can sleep in the day during the thunderstorm.
- You can craft beds out of any combination of wood and wool. There are 884,736 ways to create a bed.
- Minecraft speedrunners use the bed as a method to kill the ender dragon.
- Sleeping in the bed while falling will delay the fall damage.