The Better Together Update is an update to Pocket Edition, Windows 10 Edition, Gear VR Edition, Apple TV Edition, Fire TV Edition, and a new version of the Xbox One Edition and Nintendo Switch Edition. It was released for Pocket Edition as version 1.2 and as a new version for the Xbox One and Nintendo Switch.
The official name for the update reflects the addition of cross-platform compatibility between the Android, iOS, Windows 10, Xbox One, Gear VR, and Nintendo Switch versions of the game. The editions are merged under one title: "Minecraft". The original PC version is renamed Minecraft: Java Edition to distinguish it from the cross-platform version.
Beta testing first began on July 31, 2017. It was first released for the Xbox One, iOS, Android, FireOS, Gear VR, Windows 10, and Fire TV on September 20, 2017. The Nintendo Switch and Apple TV are slated to receive the update sometime between late 2017 and early 2018.
- Achievements instead of advancements
- Add-ons – used to change the way things look in-game
- Behavior pack, used to change the behavior of entities
- Resource pack, used to change textures and sounds
- World templates, used to import a world from outside
- Minecraft Marketplace – use Minecraft Coins to purchase community creations such as mash-up packs, skin packs, texture packs, and so on.
- Graphics are more vibrant and smoother than the Java Edition
- Water has smooth lighting
- How to Play tutorial
- Featured servers
- Custom characters
Imported from other editions
- Recipe Book-based crafting system
- Player permissions
- Stained Glass
- Stained Glass Panes
- Armor Stands
- Coarse Dirt
- Music Discs
- Books and Quills
- Written Books
- Firework Stars
- Firework Rockets
- Bonus Chest option
- Show Coordinates option
- Starting Map option
- Trust Players option
- Ability to change player skin while playing a world