|First Appearance||Alpha 1.0.6|
|Data Values||Hex: 14D|
A player sits in a boat the same way they sit in a Minecart. The boat's speed is controlled with the forward key, and steered with the left and right keys. Boats do not break, and destroy lily pads upon contact. They have two seats: one for the driver (a player (who first entered if in multiplayer)) in front and one for the passenger (another player or mob) in back. To retrieve a fully-assembled boat for one's inventory, a player needs to exit the boat, and then strike it several times with fists or tools.
Using a boat is much faster than swimming, and it also lets a player to stay atop the surface without the need of holding down the 'jump' button. It also doesn't consume a player's hunger.
|(Old Recipe) Boat||Boat|
|Wooden Planks||None||Wooden Planks||Wooden Planks||Wooden Shovel||Wooden Planks|
|Wooden Planks||Wooden Planks||Wooden Planks||Wooden Planks||Wooden Planks||Wooden Planks|
- Some players have tried "Water slides" in creative with boats, although they did not work before 1.9.
- The Guardian's laser cannot destroy boats.
- As of 1.9 snapshots, boats can be crafted for all types of wood.
- In Pocket Edition, Windows 10 Edition, and as of 1.9, boats move with oars.
- Before, boats were controlled with a player's camera and forward key, and were destroyed when colliding with blocks or mobs at high speeds, yielding three oak planks and two sticks.
- Boats can be used as a fuel in furnaces, smelting 2 items per boat. In the Pocket Edition they smelt 6 items per boat.
- Any mob next to a boat will be forced to ride, with the exception of pets and rideable mobs. This prevents the mob from walking (or teleporting, in the case of an enderman), allowing for an easy kill.
- In PC Minecraft boats are crafted with six matching types of wood planks, in console any kinds of wood planks together will do, in Pocket Edition it is the same recipe as PC but a shovel is needed.
- A bow at full power can destroy a boat.