|Data Values||Hex: 105|
A Bow is one of two weapons (the other being the sword) that can be crafted in Minecraft. It functions as the primary ranged weapon for the Player (and the only one, aside from TNT cannons, that damages entities, not counting Blazes and the Ender Dragon), giving them an alternative method of attack than the sword.
A Bow is an item that can be used to attack mobs, assuming the player has arrows in their inventory. To fire the bow, hold down right-click to charge the shot, then release to fire. A bow can be used 385 times before it breaks. The damage and range depend on how far back the arrow was drawn. For best results, shoot at maximum charge. A fully charged bow will be known by two ways. First, the bow is fully charged when it stops the drawing animation and begins shaking, or the bow's arrow, when shot, will leave a particle trail, much like that of a critical hit when jumping and attacking with a sword.
The bow is best used to take on mobs at a distance, or where sword attacks could endanger the player (such as engaging Creepers or Skeletons).
When fighting a Creeper or another mob, try to hit the block beneath it so you can keep a distance as aiming at the torso will slow you down and allow said mob to advance. Shooting from above ledges is the most effective way to kill mobs and/or a player, However, when aiming, stay close to the edge and sneak so you don't fall off the ledge. Bows are best used when fighting range attack mobs like Skeletons. The farther the bow is pulled, the farther the arrow will go.
Bow in PvP
Bows are an excellent initiator or full-length combat weapon if the opposing player is without one. The bow starts to lose its significance quickly when opponents adorn armor. To say that the bow is "overpowered" is clearly a matter of opinion. A shooter atop a tower would certain seem "overpowered" because the enemies can not reach him. However, on solid ground, sword wielders would easily run him down. However, to a person trying to cross a river or other body or water, a bow is truly something to be feared. To really keep the bow significant, enchanting the bow is nearly required of it in PvP, unless it is simply a defensive weapon in the defense of towers, walls, etc.
- Flame (I) adds fire to the bow, said more simply making an arrow light on fire when it is ejected from an arrow and makes the cooked version of meat from cows, pigs, and chicken if they are killed by the fire.
- Infinity (I) makes you have unlimited arrows so long as you have at least one arrow in your inventory.
- Punch (I-II) is equivalent to Knockback.
- Power (I-V) increases damage per shot. Only up to Power IV can be obtained from enchanting depending on the level, 30 being the max. In Survival Mode, Power V can only be obtained by combining two Power IV enchantments from another bow or a book.
- Unbreaking (I-III) increases the bow's durability. However, this enchantment is not the most useful for a bow.
As a Crafting Ingredient
- Skeletons will now rarely drop bows, and also even more rarely drop an already enchanted bow (Assuming the skeleton killed was holding an enchanted bow), but the bow will be damaged as of 1.4.5.
- There was a bug in 1.5.1 where arrows would stop in mid-air.
- Another bug was that when bows fired their last shot and broke, another one would appear as if you only dropped it, making you have a duplicated bow with unlimited durability.
- A bow at its maximum force can destroy a minecart or a boat with one arrow.
- In the PS4 Version, a bow will only damage another player that has PvP privileges enabled, even if the attacking player has PvP privileges. This may be a bug. Example: P1 has PvP, P2 does not. P1 shoots at P2 but the arrows will simply bounce off or have no effect (the arrows may become glitched and appear in the air still). If P2 has PvP, then P2 will take damage from P1's arrows.
- The bow now has an animation in 1.9 The Combat Update.
- Arrows shot from a bow by either a Skeleton or a player will stick into whatever surface they strike (including players). They will remain there, Despawning after one minute.
- A fully charged bow is stronger than a Diamond Sword.
- A bow with Flame I, for example, is an excellent TNT detonator because it allows the player to set off the TNT from a distance.
- On Console Editions if the player has an arrow in their right hand and a bow in their HUD, they can hold the right trigger and shoot the arrow with the bow even though they don't have the bow in their hand.
- In update 1.9 The Combat Update, the bow was given an animation in the HUD while the player is charging it. This animation is the arrow in the bow being pulled back and stops when the bow is fully charged.