|Starting Version||0.0.9a (May 16, 2009)|
|Current Version||0.30 (December 22, 2009)|
Minecraft, following "Pre-classic" and succeeded by Indev. Creative and later Survival game modes were introduced in Classic. It was constantly updated and improved over several months, between May 10 and December 23, 2009. The original game mode was Creative, but the Survival Test updates would put survival mode into development. The test included a points-based system, where the player could get points from killing some of the few early mobs. Even after Classic was long phased out, the Survival Test could still be played until 16 December 2010, when Minecraft's website received a major overhaul.Classic is the second development phase of
Much like Creative Mode, there are an infinite amount of blocks the player can use at their disposal, although, you can only place the old textured cobblestone. However, unlike Creative Mode, Minecraft Classic does not allow the player the ability to fly (without the use of mods or plug-ins).
Minecraft Classic was the original version of Minecraft. It was originally given away for free. However, it is now bundled with the release edition.
Minecraft Classic does not include any mobs, except the players themselves (as Minecraft Classic does support Multiplayer as well as Singleplayer).
In Minecraft Classic, the player is limited on how far he can explore, as the worlds were limited in size.
As is with all editions of Minecraft, Minecraft Classic is a sandbox game. This means there are no objectives and no unlocks - the player is free to do what they like.
As with most early Minecraft editions, worlds are generated randomly and have limited space.
Unlike the Alpha and Beta editions of Minecraft, sponges have the ability to absorb water.
Singleplayer is a mode within Minecraft Classic that, once selected, places the player in a world surrounded by fog. In this world, the player can use the infinite amount of materials available to them to create whatever they please.
Guests cannot save their levels like Premium users can. Premium users can save their levels in the browser, whilst non-premium members must save any levels as a save file.
Multiplayer within Minecraft Classic allows for several players to connect via a server. Servers in Minecraft Classic are operated in a very similar fashion to that of Servers on Minecraft Alpha, Beta, and Release.
As with current Minecraft servers, Minecraft Classic servers are compatible with mods and plug-ins.
Worlds in Minecraft Classic Multiplayer are an identical size to that of worlds in Minecraft Classic Singleplayer.
Blocks available in Minecraft Classic consist of:
- Wooden Planks
- Leaves (Oak)
- Stone Slabs (Xbox 360 Edition includes different slabs).
- Moss Stone
- Saplings (Oak)
- Flowers (Red and Yellow)
- Mushrooms (Brown and Red)
- Sand (Note that sand is still affected by gravity.)
- Wool (White, Orange, Magenta, Light Blue, Yellow, Lime, Pink, Gray, Light Gray, Cyan, Purple, Blue, Brown, Green, Red, and Black)
- Ores (Iron, Coal and Gold)
- Iron block
- Gold Block
- TNT (inactive)
- Bedrock (able to use and break, unlike Minecraft Release Survival).
- The walking animation for Classic consists of the Player running forward and moving their arms in an unusual fashion, as if the player is flailing their arms. This animation, however, can only be viewed in multiplayer Classic, since the ability for the player to see their self was not added until a later edition of Minecraft.
- Classic versions 0.0.11.a to 0.0.13.a_03, as well 0.30_01c are available in the Minecraft launcher's "Time Machine" feature. Players are advised to proceed AT THEIR OWN RISK due to these versions containing bugs.
- Many versions of Minecraft Classic are considered to be lost:
- 0.23 - The beginning of Survival Test, but without any Health system in-game.
- 0.24_05 - The version Pigs were introduced, where they were cross eyed.
- 0.27_SURVIVAL TEST 12 - The last release of 0.27. Not much info about it.
- 0.29 - Creative Classic returned. Many servers for classic are appearing on the old site.
- Creative 0.31 - Was featured in one video, showing a Plank glitch. Rana was also featured in this version. This version is extremely difficult to find.