Creative mode is a game mode introduced in the beta 1.8 update. In this mode, players have unlimited resources, and no Health or experience. Hostile mobs will not attack, and as of release 1.6, will not fight back when attacked. All blocks can be placed or destroyed with one hit.
Creative Mode removes a character's Inventory, and replaces it with a menu of all objects, allowing the player to simply drag and drop Blocks/Items into his/her inventory. When an object is placed in the inventory, only one of that block is visible, but that block is actually unlimited. This allows the player to construct anything they want. A player can carry food with them, but it is impossible to eat.
This mode is very similar to Classic, which also gives you unlimited blocks. The only difference is that Minecraft Classic has fewer available blocks than the current version of creative mode.
If a player destroys the naturally occurring bedrock, they will find the Void. Falling into the void whilst in Creative Mode is the only way possible to die other than /kill. You also have the ability to fly by double tapping the (default).
If you are in Creative Mode, you will have access to commands (unless you choose to disable them), also known as cheats, which you can use by typing in / followed by the command. Some commands can change your gamemode, change the time, start/stop weather, and give you large amounts of XP.
- /gamemode (0/1/2/3|s/c/a/sp) - 0/s=survival, 1/c=creative, 2/a=adventure, 3/sp=spectator)
- /time <set/add> 0-23999
- /xp <amount> <player>//xp <amount>L <player>
- /achievement give <achievement/statistic> <player>
- /enchant <player> <effect> <seconds> <amplifier>
- /clear <player> <item> <data>
- /debug <start/stop>
- /detect <stronghold name> (1.11)
- /defaultgamemode (0/1/2 - 0=survival, 1=creative, 2=adventure)
- /difficulty <peaceful/easy/normal/hard>
- /gamerule <rule> <true/false>
- /give <player> <item> <amount> <data> <dataTag>
- /help <page/command>
- /me <action>
- /playsound <sound> <player> <x> <y> <z> <volume> <pitch> <minimumVolume>
- /say <message>
- /scoreboard <objectives/players/teams>
- /setblock <x> <y> <z> <TileName> <dataValue> <oldBlockHandling> <dataTag>
- /spreadplayers <x> <z> <spreadDistance> <maxRange> <respectTeams true/false> <players>
- /summon <EntityName> <x> <y> <z> <dataTag>
- /tell <player> <message>
- /tellraw <player> <raw json message>
- /testfor <player>
- /testforblock <x> <y> <z> <TileName> <dataValue> <dataTag>
- /tp <player> <player>//tp <player> <x> <y> <z>
- /weather <clear/rain/thunder> <duration>
- /kill <player name>
- In console editions, opening a world in creative mode disables achievements for that world.
- In creative mode, you can get spawn eggs out of your inventory which can spawn all mobs, excluding bosses, Wither Skeletons, and golems.
- There are multiple items such as Silverfish Blocks that are exclusive to Creative Mode.
- Creative mode is available on Minecraft, Minecraft Pocket Edition, Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition, and Minecraft PlayStation 3 Edition.
- A group of players in the Xbox-360 edition used the Duplication glitch to get 254 of any item in order to improve their maps or to provide resources to other guests. Updates on the glitch were never official, but instead reduced the chances of every successful duplication. For example, before the updates, it only took one try with the dispenser glitch to get 254 items. However, when the updates came, it was reduced to three tries, and was later fully patched in another update. So far, the furnace glitch isn't fully patched, and does the same thing, except the success rate is much lower than first patched dispenser.
- In the PS3 edition, the inventory is unchanged, but the crafting menu is replaced with the creative mode interface, which is the same as the creative mode inventory in other editions.
- As of Snapshot 12w15a, when using the copy block on something such as Redstone Wire, Snow Layer, or a Nether/End Portal, it would give you exactly what you clicked (ex. Using copy block on a Snow Layer will give you the snow layer.)
- When you use Copy Block on an entity (Excluding the Enderdragon, Players, or Piston Heads), it will give you the respective egg. Also, when the spawn egg is placed, it spawns a baby mob, but for only non-hostile mobs. Endermen, Spiders, or Squids do not count.
- As Version 1.3.1, the Creative mode inventory categorized to various tabs of items and blocks to help players find blocks easier.
- The only way to die in creative is to fall in the void.