|First Appearance||Indev 0.31|
|Data Values||Hex: 108|
The Diamond is a rare, valuable mineral used to craft tools, armor, Enchantment Tables, Jukeboxes, it can craft tools such as Pickaxes, an Axe, a Sword, a Shovel and a Hoe. It can also be used to craft Blocks of Diamond. It is obtainable from Diamond Ore and does not require smelting (unless mined using Silk Touch). One diamond can be collected from a diamond ore when it is mined, unless using a Fortune enchantment. When mining Diamonds, they are affected by the Silk Touch enchantment. Diamonds are considered one of the most valuable items in the game due to their rarity and usefulness as a hard crafting material. Tools and armor made from it are the most durable and strongest in the game. Diamonds, like creepers, have become iconic to the game. Diamonds can be found in a variety of places, but tend to be commonly found near lava beds underground because it is commonly found on the same layers as lava beds. Diamonds are the 3rd hardest mineral in vanilla Minecraft. Diamonds are the second rarest ore in minecraft, the first being Emeralds.
- In the source code, Diamonds were titled Emerald. The reason for this is that the its original name during Indev was Emerald. When the Emerald was added, this was corrected back to Diamond.
- All tools made with Diamond have equal strength with the corresponding golden tools, but will last considerably longer.
- Diamonds are the second rarest ores that can be found in caverns. The rarest ore to be found is Emerald Ore, but is only found in Extreme Hills.
- Diamonds are sometimes mistaken for Lapis Lazuli on first sight of them by players considering they have the same color, just with lighter or darker colors.
- Diamonds were originally planned to be Rubies.