This article is/was a featured article!
|First Appearance||Indev 0.31 (January 29, 2010)|
|Type of Block||Solid Block; Ore|
|Data Values||Hex: 38|
Diamond ores appear most commonly at layers 9-12, rarely being found at bedrock layer. Mining a diamond ore itself requires silk touch enchantment, but this is considered as wasteful.
- When diamond was first introduced, it was called emerald.
- Diamond, like other ores, is easier to find in caves and empty lava pools, as this gives more surface area.
- Like other ores, diamond was about 50% more common in the quadrant south-west of the point (0,0) compared to the north-east quadrant. However, this was fixed in Beta 1.6.
- In some vein formations, ores connect diagonally. Therefore it is recommended to mine around diamond ore. This also permits checking for lava.
- Diamond Ore, along with other ores, appears in the background on the achievement page.
- Diamonds are the second rarest item in the game, the first being emerald ore, as of 1.3.2, which comes in smaller veins than diamond, usually only 1 or 2 ore blocks.
- Diamond ore could not be found or placed in Classic as of version 0.30.
- Diamond ore is the most praised and used ore both on the PC and on the Xbox 360 edition since the ore provides stronger armor, tools and weapons.
- Like coal ore, Diamond ore doesn't need to be smelted.
- Diamond Ore is technically not an ore as it is a precious stone rather than a malleable material/metal.
- Diamond Ore can have as many as 10 ores congruent, whereas gold ore only goes up to 9. This however is a rarity and is not always found.
- Diamond Ore is most popular at layer 12 around lava or ravines.
- If you are having trouble finding diamond, make a strip mine at level 10, and it will cover layers, 9, 10, 11, and 12.
- Notch has many times considered changing the diamond ore to look the same as Emerald ore,only Blue.