|Dropped by||Vindicators, Evokers|
|First Appearance||Snapshot 12w21a|
|Data Values||Hex: 184|
Emeralds can be mined from Emerald Ore, which can only be found in Extreme Hills Biomes and Roofed Forest Biomes, making them extremely rare to find. Emeralds will only drop when mined with a Pickaxe made of Iron or Diamond.
UsesCurrent uses of Emeralds include trading with Villagers, activation of Beacons, and decorative purposes, as nine of them can be used to craft a Block of Emerald.
|Block of Emerald|| Emerald|
|Emerald||Emerald||Emerald||None||Block of Emerald||None|
- They are technically rarer than Diamonds, but can't be crafted into any tools or armor.
- The gem itself isn't very rare, as it can be obtained through Villager trading. It is just the ore that is rare.
- The Emerald was originally going to be Ruby.
- Jeb released a screenshot where he is using a Ruby texture for the Villager trading system. Jeb changed the idea to make Emeralds instead of Rubies, but he accidentally released a 1.3 snapshot using the Ruby texture. However, it was still named Emerald, even though it had a Ruby texture.
- Emeralds can be found in Igloo chests, Desert Temple chests, Jungle Temple chests and End City chests.
- There is an exclusive feature in Minecraft: Pocket Edition where Emeralds can be found in Blacksmith Chests in the Villages.