|First Appearance||Snapshot 12w21a|
|Data Values||Hex: 184|
Emerald is an extremely rare gem in Minecraft (even rarer than theDiamond). It is the main currency used in the Villager trading system.
UsesCurrent uses of Emeralds include trading with Villagers, activation of Beacons, and decorative purposes, as nine of them can be used to craft a Block of Emerald.
|Block of Emerald|
- They are technically rarer than Diamonds, but can't be crafted into any tools or armor.
- The gem itself isn't rare, as it can be obtained through Villager trading. It is just the ore that is rare.
- The Emerald was originally going to be Ruby.
- Jeb released a screenshot where he is using a Ruby texture for the Villager trading system. Jeb changed the idea to make Emeralds instead of Rubies, but he accidentally released a 1.3 snapshot using the Ruby texture. However, it will still be named as Emerald, even if it has a Ruby texture.
- Emeralds can be found in Igloo chests, Desert Temple chests, Jungle Temple chests and End City chests.
- There is an exclusive feature in Minecraft: Pocket Edition where Emeralds can be found in Blacksmith Chests in the Villages.