|First Appearance||1.3.1 (Snapshot 12w21a)|
|Type of Block||Solid Block|
|Data Values||Hex: 81|
SourceEmerald ore can be found extremely rarely in two-block veins, but usually appears as small, single-block ores. Emerald ore is about 25 times rarer than Diamonds. It drops one Emerald when mined, and is affected by fortune enchantments. Emerald ore can only be found in or near Extreme Hills Biomes, in layers 4 through 31.
- One cavern network underground in a world will probably hold about 5 emerald ore blocks each, but separately; rarely in veins.
- Emerald ore is rarer than emeralds because players can trade with Villagers to get emeralds.
- Ruby ore was replaced by emerald ore in 12w21a, but it was still colored red.
- This was changed to green as of snapshot 12w21b.
- The fact that emerald ore can be found in the extreme hills biome is a possible reference to the area "Emerald Hills Zone" in Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
- Emeralds were in early versions of Pocket Edition, but were removed for having no use. They were implemented again in 0.9.0.
- Emerald ore is the rarest ore in Minecraft due to only being found in one biome type.