Minecraft Wiki


747pages on
this wiki
Merger It has been suggested that this article or section be merged with Enchantments. (Discuss)
258inv This article or section requires a cleanup in order to meet the Minecraft Wiki's quality standards.
Please edit this page to improve it.

(See "Enchantments" for a more detailed breakdown of available enchantments.)

Enchanting is a process you can use to add special effects to tools, weapons, and armor pieces. These special effects are called enchantments.

Enchant GUI

The Enchanting Process

In order to enchant, you need an Enchantment Table, several Experience Points and the item you wish to enchant.As of 1.8 The Bountiful Update, you require Lapis Lazuli as well. Up to 30 Bookshelf blocks may be placed around the table to allow higher level enchantments.

First, you need to set up your Enchanting area. After placing the Enchantment Table, bookshelves should be placed 1 block away from all sides of the Enchantment Table (leaving a block of air on all sides). Carpet or torches laid on the floor between the table and bookshelves will inhibit maximum enchantment level. Since Minecraft only checks for 15 bookshelves at maximum, it is recommended to leave a one block opening on one side to walk through.

The Enchantment Table can be used by right clicking it and placing the item to enchant in it. After placing the item, you will receive 3 enchanting options with varying levels, costing up to 30 Experience Points and if you are on minecraft 1.8 or higher, lapis lazuli.

If a higher number of experience points is used for the enchantment, it is more likely you will get a better enchantment, or possibly more than one enchantment on the single item.

A player can add additional enchantments to an item by using one tool to repair another on an Anvil. Any enchantments from the sacrificed item will be applied to the repaired item if the enchant is meant to be used on that type of weapon. This process can be repeated to keep adding the enchantments a player desires.

Enchanting Chart

EID Items Name Effect Max Notes


Protection enchantments stack, up to an upper limit cap. See Armor for details.

Helmet, Chestplate, Leggings,  Boots

Protection Reduces damage except from the void, hunger and the /kill command IV N/A

Helmet, Chestplate, Leggings, Boots

Fire Resistance Resistance against fire damage; extinguishes fire faster IV N/A
2 Boots Feather Falling Protection against fall damage IV Feather Falling also reduces the fall damage from Ender Pearl teleportations.

Helmet, Chestplate, Leggings, Boots

Blast Protection Protection against explosion damage; reduces explosion recoil IV N/A

Helmet, Chestplate, Leggings, Boots

Projectile Protection Protection against damage from projectile entities (i.e., arrows and ghast/blaze fireballs) IV N/A
5 Helmet Respiration Decreases the rate of air loss underwater; increases time between damage while suffocating and drowning III Underwater breathing time +15 seconds and time between suffocation damage +1 second per level.
6 Helmet Aqua Affinity Increases underwater mining speed I

Helmet, Chestplate, Leggings, Boots

Thorns Chance of dealing damage to mobs or players attacking the wearer: 1 in 4; Extra wear on the armor III Chance of damage is 15% per level.
8 Boots Depth Strider Faster movement in water III New to 1.8, allows for faster movement under water aiding in exploring new water temples.
9 Helmet, Chestplate, Leggings, Boots Unbreaking Increases durability III (60 + 40/(Level+1))% chance a use reduces durability. On average, armor lasts 20%-30% longer.



Axe and Sword

Sharpness Extra damage V 0.5 to 1.5 hearts extra damage per level randomly for every hit.

Axe and Sword

Smite Extra damage to Zombies, Zombie Pigmen, Withers, and Skeletons. V 0.5 to 2 hearts extra damage per level randomly for every hit.

Axe and Sword

Bane of Arthropods Extra damage to Spiders, Cave Spiders, and Silverfish V 0.5 to 2 hearts extra damage per level randomly for every hit.

Axe and Sword

Knockback Increases knockback II More knockback at level II. Does not combine with knockback caused by attacking while sprinting.

Axe and Sword

Fire Aspect Burns target upon hit II Level affects duration of burning. Dropped meat will be cooked.

Axe and Sword

Looting Mobs have a chance to drop more loot III +1 to max loot drop per level. This also increases the chance of getting a rare drop
34 Sword Unbreaking Increases durability III (100/(Level+1))% chance a use reduces durability. On average lifetime is (Level+1) times as long.



Pickaxe, Shovel, Axe and Shears

Efficiency Faster resource gathering while in use V +30% mining speed over the previous level: I=130%, II=169%, III=220%, IV=286%, V=371%. The speed increase applies to all blocks that when mined, will drop an item. Using the wrong tool will not provide as much of a speed boost.

Pickaxe, Shovel, Axe and Shears

Silk Touch Mined blocks will not break as long as their mining requirements are met I Allows the mining of normally unobtainable blocks
34 Pickaxe, Shovel, Axe, Hoe, Shears, Fishing Rod, Flint and Steel, and Carrot on a Stick. Unbreaking Increases durability III (100/(Level+1))% chance a use reduces durability. On average lifetime is (Level+1) times as long.

Pickaxe, Shovel, and Axe

Fortune Increases the drop rate of items from blocks III For coal, diamond, emerald, redstone and lapis lazuli. level I gives a 33% chance to multiply drops by 2 (averaging 33% increase), level II gives a 25% chance each to multiply drops by 2 or 3 (averaging 75% increase), and level III gives a 20% chance each to multiply drops by 2, 3 or 4 (averaging 120% increase). For carrots, glowstone, melons, nether warts, tall grass and wheat (seeds only), each level increases the drop maximum by +1 (+2 for tall grass, maximum 4 for glowstoneand 9 for melons). For gravel, the drop rate of Flint is increased to 14% at level I, 25% at level II, and 100% at level III

Enchantment Types

EID is the item's Effect Identification Number in the game code.

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki