Prior to Minecraft Beta 1.8, the Far Lands was an area generated at the calculated end of Minecraft maps. The Far Lands appears at (x: ±12550821; z: ±12550821).
Chunks are generated past 30,000,000 X/Z, but have no proper function and contain non-solid blocks. As a result, when The Player attempts to walk on the blocks in these chunks, they will fall into The Void and die. In the period between Indev to the Halloween Update, he or she would just become unable to move without editing root game files. Attempting to do so will result in your map crashing accompanied with the error message: "Illegal position." It is also notable you can not teleport over this distance either, although there is a bug allowing you to glitch through the barrier with an Ender Pearl.
As a player travels further and further away from the 0,0 point, the game reacts differently. At extreme distances, screen shaking can occur. This is due to floating-point precision errors. This means the world terrain is updating at a different rate than the player location, which causes in-game entitles to "jitter". This rate of this appears to increase with distance. At certain points in the game it appears to worsen.
As of 1.7.4, you can no longer go to the far lands without hacks or mods, and it may take very long amounts of non-stop walking to reach the Far Lands. The far lands are known as the Stripe Lands in the Pocket Edition.
- First livestream: x/z ± 292,202
- Episode 470 of April 8, 2015: x/z ± 2,097,152
- Very small Redstone: x/z ± 4,194,304
- Large Redstone: x/z ± 8,388,608
- Huge Redstone: x/z ± 16,777,216
- Wide Arm: x/z ± 8,388,608
- No arm: x/z ± 16,777,216
- Only on Corners: x/z ± 8,388,608
- Only on Certain Corners: x/z ± 16,777,216
Cacti, Cakes, and Tripwires
- Error: x/z ± 16,777,216
- Cacti cannot harm The Player x/z ± (Unknown coordinates)
- Cauldrons x/z ± 16,777,216
- Enchantment Table x/z ± (Unknown coordinates)
- Paintings and End Portal x/z ± (Unknown coordinates; Very early in the far lands)
- Pressure Plates (Unknown coordinates)
- Bed (Unknown coordinates)
Reaching the Far Lands
It takes approximately 4 weeks and 6 days of continuous walking to reach the Far Lands, but one can alternatively teleport there. The starting edge of the Far Lands is at (x: 12550821, y: 64, z: 12550821). The teleportation command would be typed as
/tp [PlayerName] 12550821 64 12550821
- Many objects/blocks become corrupted in the Far Lands.
- In the PS3 edition, it's impossible to reach the Far Lands as the world is a much larger size in this game.
- One of the various possible title Splash Texts is "Check Out The Far Lands!"
- This text can appear in the PS3 version, despite being unreachable.
- There is a chance that you may stumble into a 'bad' chunk that has corrupt and unreadable data that may cause the game to crash.
- It's now possible to travel to the Far Lands in Minecraft Pocket Edition, but you have to fly to travel there.
- When traveling farther distances, chunks aren't stable and tend to 'fly' and 'shake.'
- It's impossible to walk on the blocks on the edge of the Far Lands. If done, The Player will fall to their death.
- In 1.7.2 onwards, there is an invisible wall of bedrock.
- Occasionally, you may see a Minecart with Chest past the barrier. However, it will fall after a few minutes it was spawned.
- In Minecraft 1.8, there is now a world border.
- The world generates about 16 blocks past the world border. However, These blocks cannot be broken or placed on by the player. The player can still walk on them and they can still be destroyed by TNT or anything similar. The player cannot move past the edge of the world as there is an invisible wall. Neither can he/she teleport past this.
- The Far Lands will not appear in The End.
- The end of the Minecraft playing range is X/Z= 2,147,483,439 for 32-bit computers, where Minecraft will crash beyond. For further information, refer to YouTube.
- For 64-bit computers, the range can span further to X/Z=34,359,738,208. For further information, refer to YouTube.
- A YouTuber named kurtjmac has been walking to the Far Lands ever since March 2011 in a series called "Far Lands or Bust!".
- At the moment, he has achieved 2,266,779 blocks (As of FLoB-ATHON Weekend of 2015).
- He does this for a fundraiser called Child's Play Charity and has obtained $335K from his viewers and subscribers.