Farming is the method all game modes possess which involves planting seeds. The seeds grow slowly into their respective plant, which can then be harvested. Most plants can be harvested simply by left-clicking the fully grown plant. When harvested, a plant usually drops seeds, which can be planted to grow more of that plant, continuing a cycle.
[Minecraft Basics: Basic Crops](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME7Bs2nruzw)
The types of plants that can be cultivated and reproduced include:
- Wheat- The most basic plant in Minecraft. Wheat Seeds can be obtained by destroying Tall Grass or harvesting existing Wheat. Wheat is essential in the making of Cakes and Bread, as well as in the Breeding and luring of Cows, Sheep and Mooshrooms.
- Melons- Arguably the most reliable food source although difficult to obtain initially. Melons can be found in Chests in Abandoned Mine Shafts (and, occasionally, growing in the wild, especially in Jungle biomes), and their Seeds are obtained by crafting a Melon Slice. A single seed can produce an infinite amount of Melons as long as the stalk remains intact and there is Dirt, Farmland or Grass next to the stalk.
- Pumpkins- Pumpkins can be found naturally growing in spread out groups. Pumpkin Seeds can be found in Chests in Abandoned Mine Shafts. Four Pumpkin Seeds are produced by crafting a single pumpkin. Pumpkins grow the same way melons do, making them extremely renewable. However, when harvested, pumpkins will only produce 1 unit of food rather than 3-7 for melons. Pumpkins are not edible but can be crafted into Jack-O-Lanterns or worn as a helmet, or into Pumpkin Pie, which is edible. When worn, Pumpkins produce a unique visual effect as well as preventing Endermen from becoming aggressive when looked at.
- Nether Wart- A fairly rare plant that can only be found and cultivated in The Nether. Nether Wart have no seeds, instead the item can be planted and reproduced. Nether Wart can be found in Nether Fortresses and can only be grown on Soul Sand. Netherwart does not need Light, Water, or any other conditions other than Soul Sand to grow. Nether Wart is an essential item in the Brewing process.
- Cocoa Beans- Cocoa Beans can be seen growing on jungle trees as Cocoa Pods. The beans themseves can be planted on the side of a Jungle tree (or any Jungle log) to produce a Cocoa Pod. Cocoa Beans are required to craft Cookies.
- Potatos - can either be obatained as a rare drop from Zombies or harvested in Villager farms. Potato plants, when harvested, produce 1 to 4 potatoes (and occasionally, 1 poisonous potato, which is of no value). Potatoes can be smelted to produce Baked Potatoes, which have significantly more food value.
- Carrots- Either dropped (rarely) from Zombies or harvested in Villager farms. This is the only way to force a pig to follow you and breed it in the Pig farm.
- Sugar Cane- can be obtained by searching around the shores of lakes, rivers, and oceans. In order to grow, Sugar Canes MUST have water next to the stalk. Sugar Canes are useful for Paper, Cakes, Pumpkin Pies, Fermented Spider Eyes, and brewing Potions of Speed.
The types of animals that could be cultivated.
- Dogs - Dogs are produced by taming wolves, which can be done by right-clicking a wolf with a bone until hearts appear above its head. Once a Wolf has become a Dog (officially, Tamed Wolf), it will attack any mob if you hit the mob first. They will follow you if not told to sit.
- Chickens - The only mob that can fly. They drop Raw Chicken and occasionally Feathers upon death. Every so often, a live chicken will drop an egg. Does not take fall damage, as it will fly safely to the ground instead.
- Pigs - Very common mob, produces 1-2 Raw Porkchops when killed.
- Sheeps - Also a fairly common mob. When killed, produces Wool and Mutton, and produces more wool when Sheared. If the sheep has grass to eat, its wool will grow back.
- Cows - Less common mob. Will produce the most valuable meat, Steak, when killed, and sometimes Leather. Can be "milked" by right-clicking with a bucket.
- Rabbits- Small, fast mob. Drops Raw Rabbit, sometimes Rabbit Hide (used to craft leather), and very occasionally a Rabbit's Foot (used in potions).