Farming is a feature all Game modes possess which involves planting seeds, growing and harvesting crops. It can also refer to the act of taming and/or breeding animals.
Plants grow slowly from a seed or immature plant, into their respective fully-grown plant, which can then be harvested by a player. Most crops can be planted on Farmland and harvested by left-clicking the fully grown plant. When harvested, a plant usually drops seeds in addition to their crop, which can be planted to grow more of that plant, continuing the cycle.
Animals are typically tamed and bred by feeding the animal a particular food. Breeding requires the animal to be in close proximity to another adult of its own species.
The types of plants that can be cultivated and reproduced include:
- wheat- The most basic plant in Minecraft. Wheat Seeds can be obtained by destroying Tall Grass or harvesting existing wheat. Wheat is essential in the making of Cakes and Bread, as well as in the Breeding and luring of Cows, Sheep and Mooshrooms.
- Melon- Arguably the most reliable food source, although difficult to obtain initially. Melons can be found in Chests in Abandoned Mine Shafts (and, occasionally, growing in the wild, especially in Jungle biomes), and their Seeds are obtained by crafting a Melon Slice. A single seed can produce an infinite amount of Melons as long as the stalk remains intact and there is Dirt, Farmland or Grass next to the stalk.
- Pumpkin- Pumpkins can be found naturally growing in spread-out groups. Pumpkin Seeds can be found in Chests in Abandoned Mine Shafts. Four Pumpkin Seeds are produced by crafting a single pumpkin. Pumpkins grow the same way melons do, making them extremely renewable. However, when harvested, pumpkins will only produce 1 unit of food, rather than 3-7 for melons. Pumpkins themselves are not edible, but can be made into Pumpkin Pie. They can also be crafted into Jack-O-Lanterns, or worn as a helmet. When worn, Pumpkins produce a unique visual effect, as well as preventing Endermen from becoming aggressive when looked at.
- Nether Wart- A fairly rare plant that can only be found and cultivated in The Nether. Nether Wart have no seeds. Instead, the item can be planted and reproduced. Nether Wart can be found in Nether Fortresses, and can only be grown on Soul Sand. Netherwart does not need Light, Water, or any other conditions other than Soul Sand to grow. Nether Wart is an essential item in the Brewing process.
- Cocoa Beans- Cocoa Beans can be seen growing on jungle trees as Cocoa Pods. The beans themseves can be planted on the side of a Jungle tree (or any Jungle log) to produce a Cocoa Pod. Cocoa Beans are required to craft Cookies, and can also used as a brown-colored dye.
- Potato - Potatoes can either be obtained as a rare drop from Zombies, or harvested from Village farms. Potato plants, when harvested, produce 1 to 4 potatoes (and occasionally, 1 poisonous potato, which is of no value). Potatoes can be smelted to produce Baked Potatoes, which have significantly more food value.
- Carrot- Either dropped (rarely) from Zombies or harvested from Village farms. This is the only way to force a pig to follow you and breed it in a pig farm.
- Sugar Cane- can be obtained by searching around the shores of lakes, rivers, and oceans. In order to grow, sugar canes MUST have water next to the stalk. Sugar cane is useful for Paper, Cakes, Pumpkin Pies, Fermented Spider Eyes, and brewing Potions of Speed.
See full article: Breeding
The types of animals that can be tamed and/or bred are:
- Chicken - The only mob that can fly. Chickens do not take fall damage, as they will fly safely to the ground instead. They drop Raw Chicken, and occasionally Feathers, upon death. Every so often, a live chicken will lay an Egg.
- Cow - A less-common mob which will drop the most valuable meat, Steak, when killed. They also occasionally drop Leather when killed. Milk can also be gathered from a cow by right-clicking it while a Bucket is equipped.
- Two nearby cows can be bred by feeding each one Wheat.
- Horse - Horses offer the quickest, non-mechanical method of travelling across the surface of the Overworld.
- Mooshroom - A rare, cow-like mob found almost exclusively in the rare Mushroom Island Biome.
- Two nearby mooshrooms can be bred by feeding each one Wheat.
- Tamed Ocelots (also referred to as "cats") are a useful mob which act as excellent creeper-deterrents.
- Pig - A very common mob, which produces 1-2 Raw Porkchops when killed.
- Sheep - Another fairly common mob. When killed, they drop Wool and Raw Mutton, but will produce more wool when sheared. If the sheep has Grass to eat, its wool will grow back.
- Two nearby sheep can be bred by feeding each one Wheat.
- Rabbit - Small, fast mobs which drop Raw Rabbit meat when killed. They may also occasionally drop Rabbit Hide (used to craft leather) and very rarely, a Rabbit's Foot (used in Brewing potions).
- Tamed Wolf - These are produced by taming wild wolves, which can be performed by right-clicking a wolf with a Bone equipped until hearts appear above its head. Once a Wolf has become tamed, it will be wearing a collar and attack any mob that its owner attacks. Tamed wolves will follow the player who tamed them, if not told to sit.