- This page is about wheat farming. For information on the systematic production of other resources, see Renewable Resources.
Farming is the method all game modes possess which involves planting seeds. The seeds grows slowly into their respective plant, which can be harvested. Most plants can be harvested simply by left-clicking the fully grown plant. When harvested, a plant usually drops seeds, which can be planted to plant more of that plant, continuing a cycle.
The types of plants that can be cultivated and reproduced include:
- Wheat- The most basic plant in Minecraft. Wheat Seeds can be obtained by destroying Tall Grass or harvesting existing Wheat. Wheat is essential in the making of Cakes and Bread, as well as in the Breeding and luring of Pigs, Cows, Sheep, Chickens, and Mooshrooms.
- Melons- Arguably the most reliable food source although difficult to obtain initially. Melons can be found in Chests in Abandoned Mine Shafts and their Seeds are obtained by crafting a Melon Slice. A single seed can produce an infinite amount of Melons as long as the stalk remains intact and there is Dirt, Farmland or Grass next to the stalk.
- Pumpkins- Pumkins can be found naturally growing in spread out groups. Four Pumpkin Seeds can be produced by crafting a single pumpkin. Pumpkins grow the same way melons do making them extremely renewable. Pumpkins are not edible but can be crafted into Jack-O-Lanterns or worn as a helmet. When worn, Pumpkins produce a unique visual effect as well as preventing Endermen from becoming aggresive when looked at.
- Nether Wart- A fairly rare plant that can only be found and cultivated in The Nether. Nether Wart have no seeds, instead the item can be planted and reproduced. Nether Wart can be found in Nether Fortresses and can only be grown on Soul Sand. Netherwart does not need Light, Water, or any other conditions other than Soul Sand to grow. Netherwart is an essential item in the Brewing process.
- Cocoa Beans- as of the 12w21b Snapshot, Cocoa Beans can be seen growing on jungle trees as Cocoa Pods. The beans themseves can be planted on the side of a Jungle tree to produce a Cocoa Pod. Cocoa Beans are required to craft Cookies..
- In previous versions, wheat may wither and disappear (possibly being destroyed) Some people say this could be the work of the dreaded, but mysterious Herobrine , others say it is a bug. Notch has not commented on this.