|First Appearance||Classic 0.0.18a_02|
|Type of Block||Solid Block|
|Data Values||Hex: 14|
Glass is a transparent block used primarily for ecoration.
Glass is made by Smelting sand in a furnace. Sunlight can penetrate through Glass, making it useful for buildings such as greenhouses and in-door farms, or for use as a view-port. As of 1.8 beta, Glass can naturally be found in NPC Villages. Glass Blocks adjacent to each other are invisible when viewed through Glass. Snow does not accumulate on Glass blocks, so they are useful in cold Biomes, where the player does not want snowy surfaces. Like certain other blocks, such as Mycelium, a tool with the "Silk Touch" enchantment is required to collect a glass block without breaking it.
As a Crafting Ingredient
|Glass Pane x16||Glass Bottle x3|
|Nether Quartz||Nether Quartz||Nether Quartz|
|Wooden Slab||Wooden Slab||Wooden Slab|
|Stained Glass x8||Beacon|
- In the Survival Test development phase, Glass Blocks could be broken very quickly and would drop a Glass Block to pick up. The only way to obtain Glass Blocks at that time was to place them on the map before the world was loaded in the game client.
- Mobs cannot spawn on Glass.
- When Glass is placed over a dropped item, the item is trapped inside the Glass, but can be retrieved normally.
- As of update 1.2, Torches can be placed on top of Glass, but not on the side of the block.
- If glass is being broken, the sky behind it will turn blue, even if there are clouds.