This article is about the solid block, Grass. For tall grass, see Tall Grass.
|First Appearance||Pre 0.0.9a-|
|Type of Block||Solid Block|
|Data Values||Hex: 02|
Grass grows spontaneously only during map generation. Afterward, it can only spread from a nearby block. Grass can spread to any immediate adjacent dirt blocks at the same height, including diagonally. Sometimes a dirt block will turn into a grass block if there is enough light. Dirt can grow into a grass block as quickly as seconds or as long as a few minutes. For a dirt block to grow into a grass block, a grass block must be next to the dirt block.
- Passive Mobs (Pigs, Cows, Chickens, and Sheep) spawn only on grass blocks, with light level 9 or brighter in the space directly above. One can create a farm that will spawn fauna using grass, or exclude passive Mobs from an area by ensuring there is no Grass before 1.8 update.
- Passive Mobs tend to wander towards grass blocks. They also wander towards light, but they ignore light over Grass blocks and prefer them to any light levels below 10.
- Using Bonemeal on a grass block will grow Tall grass and Flowers.
- Despite common misconception, grass will grow onto a block with a torch placed upon it.
- In Survival Test mode, sheep would eat grass to regrow wool on their bodies, reverting it to dirt. Often, the grass would regrow just as quickly as sheep would eat it.
- It is impossible to mine a grass block (as when mined it yields a dirt block) without the Silk Touch enchantment.