|The content featured on this page is about a feature that is not supported by Mojang.|
Herobrine (He-ro-brine) is the subject of a community made "creepy-pasta" (Creepy story). He is widely known to Minecraft fans. Other than in fan-made Mod content, Herobrine is not present in any official release of Minecraft.
Herobrine is the subject of a community-made "creepy-pasta." He is a human entity, but with white eyes, and often described as a dead miner. Herobrine is not a character, but rather superstition. Notch said he was never implemented, saying Herobrine was removed in the Beta 1.6.6 through 1.9 final release, and a subtle to stop the skins that have been made of him, but people still claim to see him to this day.
In a possible attempt to scare people, the story raised high amounts of commotion on forums, but it was later revealed as a prank of the popular forum and website, 4chan.org.
Stories like this are called "creepy pastas," stories made to scare the reader while they read them late at night.
There are accounts of phantom players without name tags, but these are more probable to be just mob glitches. It was said, however, that Herobrine would appear in two different "forms." One was the "Stalker," where Herobrine would have stalked a player, and a player would be able to see Herobrine if the person places his or her render distance to "tiny." Once spotted, Herobrine would disappear. Another was the "Dead Constructor." He would create various different hints of where he is, such as trees with no leaves, sand pyramids in the middle of the ocean, and 2x2 tunnels lit with Redstone Torches.
Herobrine has also appeared as an antagonist in fan-made Minecraft books, movies, and videos.
- As an homage to this creepy-pasta, Mojang AB includes "Removed Herobrine" in the list of changes for each Minecraft update. In reality, this note does not pertain to any actual changes in the update.
- Those responsible for the Herobrine hoax first claimed (falsely) to have seen Herobrine during Minecraft's Alpha stages.
- In a Top 10 list by WatchMojo.com, Herobrine was placed at #7 of the Top 10 Video Game Urban Legends.
- Herobrine is a skin available online which some players use to grief and scare other players.
- Herobrine is supposedly Notch's dead brother. Notch did not have a brother, but some people say he has a half-brother.