A jungle biome
On foot or by other usual means of travel
A Jungle biome is a forest of tall trees some of those trees being 2×2 Wood Blocks thick. Some of the trees are oak trees. It is the home of many Vines, Tall Grass (including ferns), Cocoa Bean plants, Ocelots, and Jungle Temples.
The jungle is easily distinguished from a Forest Biome due to the heights of the trees and the large amount of foliage.
Exploring or even traveling through a Jungle can be frustrating or dangerous because of the near-total leaf cover; it is easy to be walking along leaves and then walk onto the tops of a tree's leaves without realizing it and end up many blocks above ground level. Similarly, the leaf cover and uneven ground can make escaping from hostile mobs difficult.
Still, jungles are very rewarding. They are the only place where ocelots spawn which can be tamed into cats and are good for chasing creepers off. They are also the only place to get cocoa beans which are used to make cookies and brown dye. Melons are also available here making melon seeds much easier to obtain here instead of wandering around dangerous abandoned mineshafts in order to get the seeds. Because of this, Jungles are a much better source for melons. Jungle temples can be found in jungles as well, and they can contain useful resources, however, one must be careful when exploring jungle temples since there are traps hidden inside.
Many jungles will feature a River Biome running through it which may be the easiest and safest way to escape if lost in the jungle. The abundance of trees provides ample resources for creating a crafting table and a boat, and the river will usually lead into another biome.
The jungle is the only biome where Jungle Temples can be found.
- Jungle trees give red-shaded Wooden Planks, and have the greenest of all Leaf Blocks.
- This biome is most commonly adjacent to a Desert Biome, as they are both considered hot.
- In the 1.3.1 Minecraft update, Cocoa Beans were added to Jungle trees; they hadn't been there before this update.
- As of 1.7.2, melons are in jungle biomes which may be why jungles were made to be much rarer.
- If playing on a slow computer, don't go into jungle biomes; otherwise, the game can severely lag, crash, or, even worse, the computer could crash too.