Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|First Appearance||Infdev (June 7, 2010)|
|Type of Block||Solid block|
|Tool Used||Any tool|
|Data Values||Hex: 65|
Ladders allow the player to climb vertical surfaces. The player must place them vertically on a block. After it is placed, it can be climbed by pressing the 'forward' button while touching the ladder. Ladders can be built with 7 sticks, by building the form of a ladder in the Crafting Table. You get three ladders every time you craft it.
To craft a Ladder, you need 7 sticks.
Ladders occur naturally in Strongholds, library rooms, and intersection rooms with a wooden ceiling. Ladders can also be found in NPC Villages, specifically, in tall buildings and houses with roofs which have fence railings.
Like torches, a ladder occupies one block from the side on which it is placed and cannot be placed on glass, leaves, Ice, or Glowstone Blocks. Unlike torches, however, they resist water and will create an air pocket, like Signs, meaning that they can be used in gravel elevators. They also resist lava, and can be used instead of glass to let lava light shine through a ceiling. If you place a ladder in lava or water just on the ground not near a wall, the air pocket will be present, but invisible.
- Placing ladders on snow layers make the ladder invisible, but they still act as if you placed them normally.
- If you place a bucket of water in a place occupied by a ladder with no other blocks next to it, the water will replace the ladder and you will not get the ladder back.
- Attempting to place a ladder on a spot another ladder occupies may instead place the ladder somewhere nearby.
- It is possible to remove a ladder while standing on a ladder and holding the sneak key, but it can take a long time because the countdown for breaking the ladder often resets.
- Ladders one block higher than the ground level the player is on can only be reached by jumping up.
- Some mobs are able to climb ladders.
- Ladders can be used to allow a player to scale vertical surfaces upwards or downwards in a manner that minimizes most mobs' abilities to follow them, although it's best to be cautious when heading up an exposed ladder, because Skeletons can still shoot you down.