|Lapis Lazuli (Item)|
|First Appearance||Beta 1.2|
|Data Values||Hex: 15F|
Lapis Lazuli is an ore drop, chest loot, and trading item that is used for decoration and enchanting; the rarity of the Ore is balanced by the drop quantity of 4-8.
Lapis Lazuli is found on block layer number 14, that's where the majority of all of this ore will spawn in. In order to check the block layerm number hit F3 at the top of a keyboard, then keep mining into the ground until the 'y' point states 14. Lapis Lazuli Ore spawns around diamond. When the player is on this level, Lapis will spawn within several layers.
Lapis Lazuli can be used in a few ways:
- To create a blue dye, which can be used to re-color wool, Sheep, Hardened Clay, Concrete Powder, Firework Stars, or glass.
- It is used in the Enchanting process for Tools, Weapons and Armor.
- As of 1.8, it can be used for repairing tools and armor, as well as renaming them.
- It can be converted into blocks, then used in decoration.
- It can be mixed with a Rose Red, Bonemeal, or Cactus Green to make purple, light blue, or cyan dye, respectively.
- Lapis lazuli was going to be a crafting ingredient for the block crying obsidian, but neither the block nor the recipe were ever added.
- In 1.2.5, when the pick block key was broken, if you used it on lapis lazuli, you would get an Ink Sac. This was because ink sacs use the same item as lapis lazuli, except that the former has a data value of 0. This, along with many other glitches, were fixed in the 1.3 release.