|Available In||rd-161348 (as a texture)|
0.0.12a (as a block)
|Speed of fluid movement||Slow|
|Speed of walking through||Very slow|
Lava tends to be slow-flowing and thick in the Overworld, so most players can escape in time. In peaceful mode, lava is one of the main causes of death, along with fall damage. Lava deals 5× damage if a player comes into contact with it. Death from lava is one of the worst deaths a player can experience, because his/her Inventory items will likely burn, and the player will not be able to retrieve them. The same can happen to the Experience the player had gained before death. Even if a player or mob succeeds in escaping the lava, they will still be on fire, which will often kill them anyway.
All items that come in contact with lava will burn and be destroyed. Lava gives off a very large amount of light. Lava within a certain distance of combustible blocks, such as wool or any wood block, can ignite them starting a fire.
In The Nether, lava flows as rapidly as water does in the Overworld, and can reach seven blocks across a flat surface in whichever direction it is flowing. In the Overworld, lava will only travel three blocks in any direction across a flat surface. Lava in the Overworld flows much slower than water. Lava is a mixture of orange, red, and yellow.
Lava appears underground in the form of lava pools. These pools may also appear on the surface, albeit uncommon for them to do so. In most NPC Villages, small amounts of lava appear in blacksmith shops. In The Nether, lava appears in vast oceans that are much more common than the water oceans of the Overworld.
Lava and water, when directly exposed to each other, form either obsidian, stone or cobblestone. Standing lava source blocks turn to obsidian while flowing lava turns to cobblestone. Similarly, when water goes on top of lava, it will create obsidian, whereas when lava goes on top of water it will create stone.
Lava is a very useful fuel, and can smelt up to one hundred items per bucket (or 1000 seconds). While this is a nice large number, only 64 items can be smelted at a time, making lava buckets slightly impractical for smelting items. As of the Adventure Update, players can now retrieve the bucket that they used to hold the lava.
- Strangely, lava can be contained using ice as a border until the ice melts from the light emitted.
- If a player dies in Lava, a public message is displayed, stating: "<player> tried to swim in lava".
- If an Enderman touches lava (or water or fire), it will teleport away until it stops burning (or gets out of the water, should that be what it fell into).
- Magma cubes are often found in Nether lava. They don't spawn there, but they find it difficult to escape.
- After the 1.5 Redstone update, the texture of lava was changed.
- If a Pig, Cow, or Chicken is killed by lava, they will drop cooked food instead of raw food. (e.g. cow drops Steak instead of raw beef)
- In Minecraft: Pocket Edition, there's a 0.5% chance that lava can spawn.
- On Pocket Edition, the texture of lava changed after version 0.7.0.
- Zombie Pigmen are invulnerable to damage caused by lava, nor will they catch on fire from swimming in it.