|Type||Raw material, Items|
|Dropped by||Cows, Mooshrooms, Horses|
|First Appearance||Alpha 1.0.8 (July 20, 2010)|
|Data Values||Hex: 14E|
Leather is an item that was added during Alpha, along with the introduction of cows. Leather can be used to craft leather armor which is the weakest type of armor, but it is the easiest to make for a starter set, due to leather being easily obtainable by killing cows. Leather can be acquired by killing cows or horses, which may drop 0–2 pieces of leather upon death with or without a weapon.
It can also be used (as of update 1.3) to craft books. 24 pieces of leather are required to craft a full set of leather armor. In the 1.4 update, leather can be used to make an Item Frame. An item frame can be crafted with a piece of leather in the middle, surrounded by Sticks.
|Leather Horse Armor (Pocket Edition and Windows 10 Edition only)|
|Rabbit Hide||Rabbit Hide||None||Stick||Stick||Stick|
|Rabbit Hide||Rabbit Hide||None||Stick||Leather||Stick|
The achievement "Cow Tipper" can be earned when a player obtains leather.
Leather is commonly used to make armor or books. However, leather armor has the least durability and resistance. Notably, leather armor can be dyed by a player by putting it in a crafting table along with the Dye of a player's choice.
- After Seecret Friday Update 8, Chickens would drop leather if killed by fire or fall damage, although it has since been fixed (Also, chickens no longer take damage from falling).
- Saddles have the texture and color of leather but are not crafted by it as they can only be acquired from chests in Dungeons.
- In Indev 0.31, examination of the items.png file reveals there was a planned Leather-Chain armor. However, it was never implemented, and with the addition of Gold armor, it has since been made redundant. The only thing that remains in the current versions of Minecraft is the tunic texture.
- After the 0.7.2 update of Minecraft: Pocket Edition, cows now drop leather upon death.
- Leather is the only armor that can be dyed.
- Because it is dropped by cows, horses, and mooshrooms, leather is a renewable resource.