The Minecraft 2.0 update was announced on April Fool’s Day 2013.
It was shown as a joke later.
April Fool's Day 2013 announcement
Minecraft 2.0 has added new features into the game, and the full list is:
- Added new Super Hostile game mode, for a much more challenging Survival experience.
- Difficulty setting is now per-world and may never be changed once set.
- Added new graphics setting “Ultra Realistic” with new patent-pending experimental 4D-rendering.
- Added new chase-style 3D camera perspective.
- Added new realistic food/hunger system to animals.
- Overfeeding animals may have a negative effect on gameplay.
- Added a new “Horse” animal, with two different breeds to choose from.
- Each animal now has a gender and personality, introducing new farming mechanics.
- Added a new rare breed of chicken known as a “Diamond Chicken”.
- May lay diamonds or lapis instead of laying eggs.
- May also blow up from too much pressure. Handle with care.
- Added new friendly Pink Wither, which is the complete opposite of a normal wither.
- Shoots out Love, which heals the nearby land and causes things to grow faster.
- Known bug: Having both a Pink Wither and a Wither in one's world at the same time may cause up to a 200% increase in frame-rate. Will be fixed for launch.
- All animals may be fed Golden Apples to unleash their hidden magical properties (see new Magic section).
- Chickens are now classified as a hostile mob and are no longer passive.
- Chickens do not appreciate being looked at and may get upset.
- Attacking a lone chicken may summon additional chickens to its defense.
- Zombie Pigmen now spawn with battlesigns and no longer use swords.
- Fixed a bug causing Skeletons to miss their targets on occasion.
- Added new Redstone Bug monster (see Redstone section).
- Furnaces have a new “heat” mechanic.
- Heat needs to be regulated in furnaces or they will blow up.
- Torches now burn out after a period of time, but may be relit with flint and steel.
- Added new TNT slab, known as an Etho Slab.
- Renamed Droppers to floppers, by popular community demand.
- Droppers were deemed too powerful and go against our original vision of the game.
- Floppers now turn everything that passes through them into raw fish (see Fishing section).
- Added six (6) new decoration blocks:
- Hay bales
- Lapis Lazuli
- Slime blocks
- Added new compressed storage blocks for commonly mined ores:
- Coal Block
- Lapis Lazuli Block
- Redstone Block
- Lapis may now be used for new Lapis furniture.
- Added dyed glass.
- Walking over many blocks will gradually wear them down, creating many new block variants such as Cracked Stone and Muddy Grass.
- Removed all BUD behavior, and added safeguards so that it may never come back.
- Made redstone bugs spawn actual Redstone Bugs to assist with debugging.
- Added new Quantum Entangled redstone, obtained by mixing 1 redstone, 1 diamond and 3 lapis.
- One entangled redstone dust will connect to another pair elsewhere.
- No current way of specifying the connection, may in fact connect to another player’s world.
- Added new BUD blocks.
- Added new Magic and Luck levels per player.
- Finding a Rainbow after rain passes will be the primary way of obtaining Magic.
- Finding a green-tinted horse will be the primary way of obtaining Luck.
- Added new spell system, costing magic to perform a spell.
- Spells may backfire, depending on Luck.
- Examples of new spells include:
- Turn any item into Fish.
- Turn current biome into another biome (bug: currently only turns into ocean).
- Ability to remove gravity from other creatures/players in the world.
- Overhauled fishing mechanics.
- New special types of fish may be found in various different biomes.
- Fish may become scared if too much noise is made nearby.
- Added 28 new achievements for fishing.
- Rare chance for extra items to drop when fishing, such as armor and maps.
- Removed fishing.
- Having a fish in one's possession will drain one's health by 1 each second, to help phase out fishing.
- Removed crossbows.
- To deter cheating players on PvP servers, the PvP system has been completely redesigned.
- Players may no longer attack other players directly, but must recruit an army of Monsters and Animals.
- Each monster/animal has different strengths, weaknesses and abilities whilst attacking or defending in PvP combat.
- New turn-based combat system will help create epic battles that may last hours at a time.
World generation & terrain
- Added many new mysterious adventuring locations.
- Added 6 new biomes.
- Reimplemented the Farlands.
- Going near the farlands will forcefully enable 3d anaglyph.
- Known bug: Teleporting towards the farlands may send one half way in the opposite direction.
- Added dozens of new village building templates.
- The chickens coming to the injured chickens defense is a reference to Legend of Zelda, as when a player attacks a hen, they will swarm them.
For an added sense of authenticity, Mojang gave a copy of Minecraft 2.0 to Youtubers including:
- YOGSCAST Martyn (Minecraft 2.0 EARLY ACCESS!! w/ SoTotallyToby)
- SethBling (MindCrack SMP — Ep 1: MineCraft 2.0 Pre-Release Review)
- PaulSoaresJr (Minecraft 2.0 – Mindcrack EXCLUSIVE SNEAK PEEK!)
- Vechs (Ep01 Minecraft 2.0 LP – A Fresh Start)
- BlameTheController (Minecraft 2.0 Beta Ep 1: Multiplayer Dungeon World first);
- Guude (Minecraft MindCrack – S4E1 – Minecraft 2.0)
- Xisumavoid (Minecraft 2.0 Update Preview);
- Keralis (Wife vs. Minecraft – Episode 30: Minecraft 2.0!)
- Biffa2001 (Minecraft 2.0 One Life – “Death By Blue Chickens”)
- Docm77 (Minecraft 2.0 Closed Beta – Exclusive First Look)
- W92Baj (Minecraft 2.0 – You wont believe what has been added – Mindcrack prelease overview.)
- Mhykol (Mhykol Mines – Mindcrack – Episode 259 – Minecraft 2.0)
- Generikb (Minecraft 2.0 FIRST LOOK!)
Copied from http://mojang.com/