|First Appearance||Infdev (Secret Friday Update 2)|
|Type of Block||Solid Block|
|Data Values||Hex: 32|
A spawner will create mobs provided there is space for the mob to be generated and the light level within the spawning radius remains below seven. Mobs are created within an 8x8x3 high area centered on the spawner block's lower left corner. Note that mobs can spawn in any dark space within range, even if the spawner is fully lit. The spawner will only spawn mobs if the player is within 16 blocks of it. They also make a loud ticking sound. A common trend among seasoned players is to create mob traps around monster spawners for an easy way to gather that mob's resources.
- Dungeons — The most common area to find Monster Spawners. The spawners found in these areas spawn Zombies, Spiders, and Skeletons.
- Abandoned Mine Shafts — These areas contain many useful items as well as Cave Spider spawners. Although rarely, the spawners can spawn Spiders.
- Strongholds — These areas contain the portals to The End, along with spawners that spawn Silverfish.
- Nether Fortresses — Extremely large structures found in The Nether, the spawners they hold spawn Blazes.
- The End — Only as a glitch, it can spawn Endermen.
Note: Monster Spawners can also be obtained through mods and hacks, such as TooManyItems. They cannot be obtained when mined by an item with the Silk Touch enchantment.
- Mob spawner has the ID of 52 and is named as "Monster Spawner" in-game.
- Mob spawners typically spawn regular enemies and cannot be changed. With the use of mods and add-ons, however, the player will become capable of changing mob spawners.
- Unlike most other transparent blocks, it is possible to place Torches on a Monster Spawner.
- Even though a mob figure is much smaller than the actual mob, Ghast figures and Giants are too big for the spawner to be seen.
- Monster Spawners can spawn up to four mobs at once.
- Very rarely, a Monster Spawner can be found in out-of-the-ordinary locations.
- In Minecraft XBLA (Before the Christmas update 2012), mob spawners would only show pigs but would spawn things other than pigs.
- They look like little cages.