|First Appearance||Survival Test 0.26-|
|Type of Block||Solid|
|Data Values||Hex: 31|
Obsidian is also the only material that can make a Portal to The Nether, as of the October 31st Halloween Update. To make a portal, a frame made of obsidian must be erected, standing 4 blocks long and 5 blocks high, and the remaining space should be left open. The corner blocks need not be included in the rectangle. Then, the bottom obsidian blocks should be lit on fire with a Fire Charge or Flint and Steel, (Lava will not work). After this is done, the portal opens, granting access to The Nether. Obsidian is also resistant to one Creeper explosion and one TNT explosion. Because of this fact, many players have constructed execution-by-TNT rooms out of Obsidian.
In addition to the TNT execution rooms, multiplayer servers find Obsidian to be the best defensive structure, as it is nearly impossible to destroy. Making a wall around a city in obsidian may take a long time, but is well worth the defense when defending from an attack, especially since it renders TNT useless.
As a Crafting Ingredient
|Enchantment Table||Ender Chest|
|Diamond||Obsidian||Diamond||Obsidian||Eye of Ender||Obsidian|
- While obsidian is a strong block in Minecraft, obsidian in real life is a fragile volcanic glass - but the mistake here comes from obsidian not being harder than Diamond, but for obsidian to reach a sharpness equal to (if not higher) than Diamond. It was for this reason that obsidian was a popular material used for arrow tips.
- It is possible to destroy obsidian with TNT. Obsidian's blast resistance is 6,000, while 1 TNT's power is 4. Dividing 6,000 by 4 equals 1,500 TNTs to blow up one block of obsidian (Though creating an explosion of this magnitude will crash Minecraft for the majority of players).
- Both Endermen and Obsidian blocks share a slightly similar texture, hinting at a connection (or a plot point that was later removed).
- Changing your language to pirate will name the block "Rock o' Tears" possibly a reference to the unimplemented Crying Obsidian.
- If you break Obsidian with anything other than a , it will take ~4minutes, 10 seconds to break.