|Uses||Energy source for most crafted mechanical items|
|First Appearance||Alpha 1.0.1|
|Data Values||Hex: 14B|
Redstone is an element that is used as an ingredient for most mechanical creations in Minecraft, and it is required in some way to get most mechanisms to operate.
Up to 4Redstone
may be dropped when a block of Redstone Ore is destroyed with an iron or diamond pickaxe It is also dropped by Witches, and occurs in block form in Jungle Temples and Woodland Mansions. It also appears in Dungeon, Woodland Mansion, and Stronghold Chests, and in Abandoned Mineshaft Chest Minecarts. This dust can be placed on the ground to make redstone wire. Redstone can also be crafted into: a Redstone Torch, although a redstone torch is not as efficient as a regular torch as it does not give off as much light; a Block of Redstone (as of update 1.5); and/or a Redstone Repeater. Redstone also can be used in traps or mechanisms involving redstone circuits. When redstone interacts with any liquid, it will be destroyed. Redstone can only be placed on solid blocks, excluding Glowstone and top placed Slabs of any kind. When redstone gets ignited, it will last 15 blocks before going to its off state. This can be prevented by placing a repeater and continuing the redstone circuit however will make the output 1–4 ticks longer. A Redstone Comparator (see page for details) creates an instant redstone signal when placed in a line (all facing the same way) unlike repeaters (listed above). The toggle switch must be off in order for this to happen.
|Redstone Repeater||Redstone Torch|
|Redstone Torch||Redstone||Redstone Torch||None||Stick||None|
|Block of Redstone||Piston|
|Redstone||Redstone||Redstone||Wood Planks||Wood Planks||Wood Planks|
|Gold Ingot||None||Gold Ingot||None||Iron Ingot||None|
|Gold Ingot||Stick||Gold Ingot||Iron Ingot||Redstone||Iron Ingot|
|Gold Ingot||Redstone||Gold Ingot||None||Iron Ingot||None|
|Gold Ingot||Redstone||Gold Ingot|
- In the Far Lands in Beta 1.8 and above, redstone becomes corrupted.
- When obtaining redstone through ID codes (ID 55), it is referred to as "Redstone Dust". It also has a different sprite which is white instead of red.
- Before an unknown update, non-powered redstone wire was black.
- In the 12w21a snapshot, redstone was made available through Trading.
- Witches are able to drop redstone, making redstone a renewable resource.
- When Sand or Gravel falls down on redstone, the block will be destroyed and dropped as an item.
- Redstone is the only mineral in Minecraft that doesn't exist in the real world.
- In the Pirate Language, redstone is called "Magic Powder".
- Redstone can be considered to be better than diamond, as it gives a player a lot more opportunities once they've done everything there is to do in Minecraft.
- Redstone, Gunpowder and Glowstone Dust have the same texture, except with differing colors.