|First Appearance||Alpha 1.5.2|
|Type of Block||Tool; Non-Solid Block|
|Data Values||Hex: 37|
- For the article on creating circuits with this item, see Redstone Circuits.
Redstone Wire is a block that is used to transfer a charge between objects. Charged objects can be used to open doors or activate certain items. This block is the placed form of redstone dust which can be found by mining redstone ore with an iron pickaxe or better. Deactivated Redstone Wire will appear dark red, but activated Redstone Wire will appear bright red with a sparkling Particle effect.
Connection and Power
Redstone Wire is placed by right clicking on the surface of a block while Redstone Dust is selected in the hud. Players can remove it by left clicking on the wire which will break it like any other block. It will drop reusable redstone dust when destroyed. Redstone Wire will transfer power provided either by redstone torches or by switches, such as Levers, from block to block. It can be connected to other wires which will create circuits; however, it will not try to form automatic connections with blocks or items that "receive" power, such as Doors. These blocks need a straight wire that runs to or onto them in order for them to receive power. Redstone Wire cannot be placed on glass or glass panes.
- After snapshot 13w01a, the two texture panels directly below the redstone wire textures (in terrain.png) are required to be empty. The 'empty' panels are layered on top of the normal ones in-game which can potentially give the redstone the 'grid' pattern if this requirement is not met.
- Due to a bug, when lava hits redstone wire that is touching water, the redstone wire turns into Obsidian.
- Due to another bug, Redstone and other Redstone Materials can be placed in water.
- A regular redstone power source (e.g. Redstone Torch) will power up to 15 blocks of Redstone Wire. A Redstone repeater can extend the limit of power it can extend to.