| This article contains content about features that are outdated, or have been removed from the game.|
All functionality was replaced by emeralds.
| This article contains content about features that are unused, but are still in the current code.|
"Ruby" and "Ruby Ore" are still in the language files.
Ruby was originally planned to be added as part of Minecraft patch 1.3, but was abandoned in favor of Emerald by developers. Variations of Armor and tools crafted with ruby were another idea which could have been incorporated into the update, but those plans were obviously also abandoned when rubies themselves were removed.
- Originally, the Ruby was meant to be the material for Villager trades. However, they were later replaced by the now used Emeralds.
- Ruby was supposed to look like an Emerald but more circular.
- Like the Quiver and Skis, Ruby still exists in the Minecraft files.
- Ruby was changed to Emerald because Dinnerbone is red-green colorblind and couldn't tell the difference between Redstone Ore and Ruby Ore, so it was changed at the last minute.
- Ruby was originally supposed to be more powerful than Diamond and it was going to have armor and weapons. However, emerald, its replacement, has neither armor nor weapons.
- There are many mods that can be used to put rubies back into the game, however they aren't always identical to how the original ruby concept worked.