|First Appearance||Classic 0.0.14a (2) -|
|Type of Block||Solid Block|
|Data Values||Hex: 0C|
UsesEditThe main use for sand is to smelt it into Glass, or making it into TNT. It can also be crafted into Sandstone, which does not comply with gravity as Sand does.
- In chunks generated after Beta 1.2's release, the bottom of all Sand piles have a layer of Sandstone.
- The initial spawn point was always on sand until 1.8 was released. Afterwards the player's first spawn point is now on dirt instead of Sand.
- Dungeons can be easily found in desert areas, as Sand generated above desert dungeons. The Sand will fall to the lowest block, either leaving pits in the ground or exposing the Cobblestone floors and walls.
- During world generation, since sand is treated like any block, overhangs of Sand can be created, and therefore in that case can disobey the laws of physics until nearby Sand is broken or a block is placed, creating an entertaining fall of Sand.
- If a Sand block falls onto a Torch, Sapling, Flower, Rose, Flower Pot, or Mushroom, the Sand block will break.
- In Pocket Edition, Sand can float in mid-air, even Gravel.