|First Appearance||Classic 0.0.14a (2) -|
|Type of Block||Solid Block|
|Data Values||Hex: 0C|
UsesSand can be smelted into Glass, combined with Gunpowder to yield TNT, or crafted into Sandstone, which is not affected by gravity as Sand is. Sand is the most common block that affected by gravity. As a result, it is most used in the creation of traps.
- In chunks generated after Beta 1.2's release, the bottom of all Sand piles have a layer of Sandstone.
- The spawn point was always on sand until 1.8 was released. Afterwards the player's spawn point is now on Dirt instead of Sand.
- Dungeons can be easily found in desert areas, as Sand generated above desert dungeons will fall into it, leaving a conspicuous pit in the ground.
- During world generation, since sand is treated like any block, overhangs of Sand can be created, and therefore in that case can disobey the laws of physics until nearby Sand is interacted with or a block is placed, causing the Sand to fall.
- If a Sand block falls onto a Torch, Sapling, Flower, Rose, Flower Pot, or Mushroom, the Sand block will break and can then be collected. This can be utilized as a very fast method of removing Sand.