|First Appearance||Classic Pre 0.0.11a
|Type of Block||Non-Solid Blocks; Plant|
|Stackable?||Yes (Max 64)|
|Data Values||Hex: 06|
The saplings come in 4 types. Oak, Birch, Spruce (also known as Pine or Evergreen), and Jungle (Redwood). Oak is chestnut and has green leaves. Birch is white and has emerald leaves. Spruce is dark brown with dark green leaves. The jungle tree has a cocoa color to it and it has bright green leaves. When 4 jungle saplings are placed in a square and you uese bone meal on it it makes a thick jungle tree found in jungle biomes. A Dead bush may look like a sapling, but it is withered and will not grow, even when adjacent to Water.
Saplings can be planted on any Dirt or Grass block, and will grow into a new tree if they are exposed to a light level of at least 9 in the block above the sapling, and have at least a certain number of empty blocks, depending on sapling type, above the sapling "block" itself. Normal saplings need a 1x6x1 area, birch saplings need a 5x7x5 area, and pine saplings need a 7x10x7 area.
In Survival mode, saplings are dropped with a random chance when leaves wither or are destroyed by the player. The withering behavior of leaves is explained in detail in the leaves article. There are various saplings for each tree type as of Beta 1.5. Most tree canopies will drop at least one sapling block, though they may drop more, and large tree canopies should drop several if completely denuded.
Aside from being able to grow into new trees, saplings have only one other use; saplings can be used in your Furnace as fuel. It does not last long as fuel but can be used for quick purposes such as burning wood into charcoal or making a few glass blocks.
- If the player stands on the same block as a placed Sapling as it grows into a tree, wood blocks will grow on top of them, causing suffocation.
- It is possible to plant a sapling anywhere, provided dirt or grass is available.
- The sapling requires 6 blocks above it in order to grow, either from Bone Meal or after some time.
- There are some bugs in which using Bone Meal on a sapling in a confined space will only produce leaves.
- It is possible to count Mushrooms as saplings as in Mushroom biomes, Mushroom can grow into Huge Mushrooms.