|Data Values||Hex: |
The shovel is a tool used in Minecraft to quickly destroy blocks of dirt, sand, gravel, snow, and grass. The type of block which was destroyed by the shovel will be left on the ground for the player to pick up. It is not a requirement to make a shovel to progress in the game. Their only use is to destroy some blocks faster than with bare hands, and to flatten grass into Grass Paths.
All shovels degrade as they are used for their intended purpose. However, a shovel will lose Durability at twice the rate if it is used to attack Mobs. Shovels made with better materials will last longer.
Shovels can be crafted out of the following materials (in order of lowest, to highest Durability):
- Gold (has almost half the durability as wood, but is faster than a diamond shovel)
|Gold Shovel||Wooden Shovel|
|None||Gold Ingot||None||None||Wooden Plank||None|
|Stone Shovel||Iron Shovel|
|Diamond Shovel||Boat (PE only)|
|None||Stick||None||Wooden Planks||Wooden Shovel||Wooden Planks|
|None||Stick||None||Wooden Planks||Wooden Planks||Wooden Planks|
- Shovels are used to acquire snowballs.
- Golden Shovels are important for many multiplayer servers for the use of claiming land in the new Land Claims feature.
- Zombies can rarely spawn holding an iron shovel.
- A diamond shovel has damage equivalent to a wooden or golden sword.
- Wooden shovels are used as "paddles" to steer boats in Pocket Edition and Windows 10 Edition.
- Enchanted iron and diamond shovels can be found in some End City Chests.