|Data Values||Hex: |
Shovels are designed for blocks of dirt, sand, gravel, snow, and grass. When a block is destroyed by a shovel, it will be left on the ground for any player to pick up. Crafting a shovel is not a requirement to progress in the game, but they are very useful to have, as they allow a player to destroy some blocks faster than with bare hands. All shovels degrade as they are used for their intended purpose. However, a shovel will lose Durability at twice the rate if it is used to attack Mobs. Shovels made with better materials will last longer. In addition, a shovel can be enchanted with useful qualities, such as "durability" or "silk touch".
Shovels can be crafted out of the following materials (in order of lowest, to highest Durability):
- Gold (has almost half the durability as wood, but is faster than a diamond shovel)
Shovels can also be used to flatten grass into Grass Paths, by right-clicking on the grass block (PC), or holding down the action button over the grass block (MCPE).
|Gold Shovel||Wooden Shovel|
|None||Gold Ingot||None||None||Wooden Plank||None|
|Stone Shovel||Iron Shovel|
|Diamond Shovel||Boat (PE only)|
|None||Stick||None||Wooden Planks||Wooden Shovel||Wooden Planks|
|None||Stick||None||Wooden Planks||Wooden Planks||Wooden Planks|
- Shovels are used to acquire Snowballs.
- Golden Shovels are important for many multiplayer servers for the use of claiming land in the new Land Claims feature.
- Zombies can rarely spawn holding an iron shovel.
- A diamond shovel has damage equivalent to a wooden or golden sword.
- Wooden shovels are used as oars to steer boats in Pocket Edition and Windows 10 Edition They are used on PC, too, but not in crafting.
- Enchanted iron and diamond shovels can be found in some End City Chests.