Sneaking helps accomplish a lot of things, such as walking on ledges without falling, preventing a player from falling off of blocks if stopped partway up a Ladder, etc. It can also be used to prevent a player's username from being visible through blocks. However, when viewed up close, others can still see the username.
There are some negatives to sneaking. It causes a player to move 1.3 m/s, much slower than the normal 4.3 m/s. As mentioned above, walking near ledges without falling can only be done with sneaking, but it is still possible to step off a block onto an aadjacent surface only half a block lower, such as from a block to a slab, or down some stairs. Sneaking also affects a player's reach distance.
- By using , viewing oneself in 2nd or 3rd Person View will display a player as bent-over.
- Sleeping in a Bed while also sneaking will allow a player to sleep, but they will only be barely visible.
- Sneaking was added in one of the Secret Updates.
- When it was originally added, a player could still fall off ledges while sneaking.
- It is still possible to fall off a ledge by moving to the edge of a block and jumping off of it.
- Sneaking darkens a player's nametag in Multiplayer mode.
- Sneaking while blocking on Soul Sand that is on top of Ice, through a Cobweb with the Slowness II Status Effect is the slowest form of movement a player can achieve, at 1 block every 42 seconds.