|First Appearance||Alpha 1.2.0|
|Type of Block||Solid Block|
|Stackable?||Yes (Max 64)|
|Data Values||Hex: 58|
The "Quicksand" Effect
This material has looks somewhat similar to that of a dirt block, but it has some unique features. It slows the movement of any player or mob on its surface, and players sink slightly into the block while walking on it. It is only 15/16 the height of a normal block, so the player cannot walk from a block of Soul Sand to a slab without jumping. This also means that you can not get off of Soul Sand while holding down the sneak key, unless the player jumps.
Soul Sand is used to plant Nether Wart for use in potions. it can also be used as a trap to slow down hostile mobs giving the player an additional second to pull out a weapon (though Ghasts are not hindered by this). Thirdly, it can be used to create the Wither boss by making a T shape out of soul sand and putting 3 Wither Skeleton Heads on top.
|Wither Skeleton Head||Wither Skeleton Head||Wither Skeleton Head|
|Soul Sand||Soul Sand||Soul Sand|
- When first released, sneaking onto a Soul Sand block would not prevent the player from falling off the block. This bug was fixed in the 1.2.1 Alpha patch.
- Putting an ice block or Cobweb under Soul Sand dramatically slows the player down more than the Soul Sand alone already would have.
- If you look closely at some of the dark patterns on the sides of Soul Sand you can see Creeper faces.
- Because of the fact that you go down a few millimeters when standing on Soul Sand, shifting at the edge of Soul Sand which is next to lava will set you on fire and let the player take lava damage.
- The slowest speed you can have while still moving can be achieved by sneaking and blocking with your sword while walking on Soul Sand with ice underneath it through cobwebs and still lava backwards, under the effect of a potion of slowness II. In addition, if the player is under these conditions and is moving at a steep angle against an adjacent block, they can move at almost infinitesimal speeds, moving only 0.00001 m at a time.
- Mobs will not burn while standing on soulsand.
- It can be found in patches in Nether Fortress with Nether Warts growing on it.