|Health Points||16HP (8x )|
|Attack Strength||Easy: |
|Drops||0-3 String on death |
0-1 Spider Eye when killed by the player
|Spawn||Light level that is less than 7, on solids.|
Cave Spiders, which are smaller).The Spider is a hostile mob. They are aggressive at night, but neutral during daytime, unless attacked. They drop 0-3 string when killed. They are 2 blocks wide and almost 1 block tall, allowing them to fit through spaces that no other mobs can (except for
Spiders move slightly faster than other hostile mobs. They are extremely aggressive and will perform a leap attack at the player when close enough. They make a very audible sound similiar to hissing/slurping when nearby, and can see through transparant blocks, allowing them to target a player easily.
Due to their climbing abilities, roofs are imperative when creating a shelter. Players can counter this ability, however, by creating overhangs around their buildings, preventing the Spider from climbing over. Spiders that appear during the day will become neutral and will not attack the player unless attacked.
Spiders can resolve to be irritating creatures during the first few days of a map in Survival. Players who do not acquire supplies fast enough may be left without a roof, which is the main drive of a spider that attacks within a player's home. A easy way to combat this is to use any supplies to build a overhang, which does not require corners and can be kept until a roof is fully built.
Spiders can be difficult enemies to combat during night, so it is best advised to wait until day, as spiders will be neutral during the day-light and do not take damage from sunlight. It is also to be noted that spiders are best tackled with a Bow as they will not become hostile towards the player if they are at least 10 or more blocks away in distance.
If combatted from a short range, attacking from one block below is an efficient strategy. Spiders only deal damage when their Y axis position is changed. When the player is at the same level as a spider, they are less likely to be hit. This will also give the player a straight shot towards a spider and provides more accuracy against their erratic movements.
- If the spider is far enough away, the player may see a white silhouette of the spider, even through solid objects.
- Spiders are careless climbers; sometimes a spider will climb into a ceiling and fall, causing them to take fall damage. Players may find String and Spider Eyes around houses with overhangs due to this.
- In the 1.4 update, spiders made a sort of pitter-patter noise when moving
- If you throw splash potions of invisibility at a spider, you will still be able to see a semitransparent version of their eyes.
- Spiders are good climbers, they can climb over 2 block high walls.
- you can find a spider with a skeleton rider but this is very rare