|First Appearance||0.0.18a_02 (June 14, 2009) (2)|
|Type of Block||Solid block|
|Stackable?||Yes (Max 64)|
|Data Values||Hex: 13|
In the 0.0.19a, after they were added they got taken out. As of 1.8 sponges can absorb water within a 5×5×5 area and then becoming a wet sponge.
Sponges absorb water source blocks around themselves. The sponge must be directly touching a water source to absorb water, and will only absorb water connected to an adjacent water block touching the sponge.
When a sponge absorbs water, it will convert to a wet sponge, which is darker, drips water, and is unable to soak up any more water. To get back the normal sponge, you need to smelt it in a Furnace.
- Sponges first appeared in the 0.0.19A update, where they were changed slightly 50 minutes later, until being removed from survival in Beta 1.8.
- Wet Sponges are available as a drop from the Elder Guardian or can be found in a room in the Ocean Monument structure.
- They share the same sound as Grass.
- If you smelt wet sponge in a furnace with a lava bucket, you might get a water bucket in return.
- The sponge has not been implemented in the PS3 edition yet.