The 1.8 texture of the Sponge
|Type of Block||Solid block|
|Data Values||Hex: 13|
As of update 1.8, a sponge can absorb water within a 7×7×7 area around itself, becoming a wet sponge in the process. The surrounding blocks which were previously water, become occupied by air. The sponge must be directly touching a water source to absorb water, and will only absorb water connected to an adjacent water block touching the sponge. When a sponge absorbs water, it will convert into a wet sponge, which is darker, drips water, and is unable to soak up any more water.
Heating a wet sponge in a Furnace will convert it back into a dry sponge. Placing an empty Bucket in the fuel slot of the furnace while smelting the wet sponge will fill the bucket with the "evaporated" water, yielding 1 bucket for each wet sponge.
With the introduction of Ocean Monuments, sponge blocks can now be harvested while exploring. Sponges can be mined with or without a tool, and Elder Guardians will also drop 1 wet sponge when defeated.
- A wet sponge will "drip" water if placed in the Overworld.
- Sponges first appeared in the 0.0.19A update where they were changed slightly 50 minutes later until being removed from survival in Beta 1.8.
- They share the same sound as Grass.
- Before update 1.8, it was impossible to get a sponge in survival mode without cheats.
- Upon being placed anywhere in the Nether, a sponge will instantly dry.