Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|First Appearance||Classic 0.9|
|Type of Block||Solid Block|
|Data Values||Hex: 2E|
TNT is detonated from being lit on fire (such as from a Flint and Steel) or from receiving an active redstone current. When using TNT in a redstone circuit it doubles the capacitance over a repeater. There is a 4 seconds fuse time, allowing the player to retreat to a safe distance. After being ignited, it will perform a slight jump in the air before returning to the ground. It will flash white for exactly four seconds and allow the player to move through it, exploding soon afterwards.
The explosion is easily capable of destroying most blocks in the vicinity. Fragile blocks, such as Dirt and Sand, are the most affected, while sturdier types, such as Obsidian, are more resistant to the explosion. TNT does not obey physics until lit, where it will then fall as an entity until it hits a block or detonates. It is a very infamous griefing tool, as a TNT block can easily destroy most blocks besides obsidian and Bedrock. Because of this, it is often banned on servers that don't allow griefing. TNT is a natural block because it naturally appears in Desert Temples and is used as a trap in them.
As of minecraft version 1.7, you can spawn in TNT with a custom fuse time, allowing for TNT that explodes instantly, as well as TNT that takes a long time to explode.
|Sand||Gunpowder||Sand||Red Sand||Gunpowder||Red Sand|
As a Crafting Ingredient
|Minecart with TNT|
- Severe lag will occur if an even a single TNT is detonated in a superflat world with many layers of TNT.
- TNT cannons can be made using water, TNT, redstone, a button, redstone repeaters, sand and pistons. Many people use TNT cannons in SMP for arcade-esque games, such as Factions, TNT wars, etc.
- In the 1.3 update, TNT's explosion radius was doubled. Endermen can pick up the block and then place it on the ground, where it will automatically detonate.
- TNT "naturally" spawns in desert temples as a booby-trap. Igniting the TNT will destroy the treasures in the chests inside.
- TNT can also be used to create a minecart with TNT as of 1.5.
- You can ignite TNT with lava or fire.
- TNT can fall up to 72 blocks when ignited.
- Since TNT is actually an entity when ignited, water, lava and mobs can pass through it while it is ignited.
- If TNT is in water, it won't damage the terrain, but still damage entities around it. This also happens if TNT is in lava.
- As stated by the Minecraft combat guide, TNT is a "Simple yet effective way to annihilate an enemy base". Also one of the 6 Basic Weapons (Sword, Bow, Lava Bucket, Dispenser with arrows, and Flint and Steel).
- TNT is slightly smaller than other blocks when activated.
- The exploding sound for the TNT was changed. It had a cartoon like sound when it exploded.
- If TNT has an Anvil inside of it when activated, then it won't damage the terrain, but still damage entities around it.
- In Minecraft Alpha, TNT was activated by just punching it. It was later changed to make TNT explode by using Flint And Steel or Redstone to activate it.
- In Minecraft today, you can spawn TNT with the old mechanics by doing the command /setblock ~ ~ ~ tnt 1.
- In Minecraft Classic, the player could deactivate lit TNT by punching it.
- If you put a glass block in front of lit TNT and hide behind it, it will absorb at least 90% of the damage you will take.
- TNT, when lit, becomes an entity.
- One of the safest ways to detonate TNT is to shoot it with a Flame enchanted bow. This allows the player to ignite the TNT from a distance, allowing greater time for the player to escape the blast radius.