End Stone islands scattered across a black void
Getting to The EndTo gain access to the End, a player must first locate a rare End Portal, which leads to this realm. Due to the large scale of a Minecraft world, end portals are nearly impossible to stumble upon by chance, as they are located in a randomly-generated Strongholds deep underground. To find an end portal, a player needs to acquire and use one or more Eye of Ender. This is a craftable item, created by combining Blaze Powder and an Ender Pearl. The end portal can be located by throwing an Eye of Ender into the air (by right-clicking while holding the item), which will send it flying through the air and other Blocks until it eventually falls down. The player needs to follow the eye of Ender, picking it up and throwing it several times before he/she ends up in the stronghold which holds the end portal. It will likely take multiple throws to get close enough to a stronghold, that the Eye of Ender begins to float underground. Be sparing in your use of this item, as it has a 1-in-5 chance to shatter, and it is tedious to obtain the necessary items to craft more. Use each throw to get the general direction in which to go, and travel a fair distance before throwing it again.
Once a player finds the End Portal within the stronghold, he/she must repair it with several more Eyes of Ender. Activating the End Portal requires 12 Eyes of Ender, though there is a possibility of finding some within chests in the Stronghold. It is best to be prepared with a surplus before you journey forth. The 12 eyes of ender must be placed in the End Portal Frames surrounding the end portal. Once all 12 are in place, the portal will become active. By jumping into the portal, the player will be teleported to The End.
End Portal Gallery
As soon as the player enters The End, a long purple bar (health) can be seen on top of the screen. This indicates the health of the Ender Dragon flying above (unless the player has already killed it previously). The player will spawn in a random location, sometimes in a small room underground, surrounded by End Stone.
There are tall pillars of obsidian scattered throughout The End. These pillars have Ender Crystals on top that will regenerate the Ender dragon's health when it is nearby. These crystals can be destroyed by hitting them once. However, because they explode upon being destroyed, it is advised to use a Bow. They could also be safely destroyed by a thrown Egg.
After defeating the Ender dragon, a portal will spawn directly under the spot where it was killed. Stepping through the portal will trigger the end Credits, give the player the "The End." achievement, and return the player to the Overworld. Before defeating the Enderdragon, it is impossible to return to the Overworld without dying. That being said, it is most advisable to create a few Ender Chests in which you can store items, and then access from either the Overworld or from The End, to avoid losing any important items while destroying the healing crystals.
In The Combat Update, a new area of The End was made accessible to players. To get to the new region of the End, a player must first kill the Ender Dragon and step through an End Gateway, which teleports them to this area. It is possible to physically build a bridge to the islands, but this isn't a viable option, as the gap is around 1000 blocks long. The Outer End consists of a number of large islands, with Chorus Plants, as well as End City structures.
- The portal appearing after defeating the Ender Dragon can be destroyed in Creative mode. However, the only way to get back to the overworld if the portal is shattered, is to kill yourself.
- If a Bed is placed in The End and is slept in, it will explode, as it would also in The Nether.
- Just like in The Nether, the dial of a Clock will move back and forth between day and night rapidly.
- Above the portal to The Dream and Credits, is an Ender Dragon egg. Clicking on the egg will teleport to another area. The only way to get there is by making a platform, using a Piston and triggering it, or find it in the new area (5-10 blocks away) and put a torch under it (can be underground).
- It is impossible to make a Nether Portal in the End, nor is it possible to make an End portal in the Nether.
- The portal back to overworld is surrounded by Bedrock, but in the overworld, the portal is surrounded with End Portal Frames.
- Drinking a Potion of Night-Vision in the End, makes everything appear pink.
- Via cheat codes, it's possible to spawn Ghasts in The End. However, for unknown reasons, they will automatically attack the Enderdragon.
- If an End Portal is built in The End in Creative Mode, it will lead to the end credits, similar to the portal spawned when the Ender Dragon is killed.
- Stepping through an end portal has a similar 3D-particle effect to when stepping through a nether portal.