Tools are items, normally used to speed up the progress of mining, breaking blocks, or farming. However, each tool has a different use.
There are currently 6 different tools:
- Pickaxe - used to break blocks such as Stone and items made of them faster; required to get the ores specified.
- Shovel - used to break blocks such as Dirt faster. Needed to obtain snowballs from snow.
- Axe - used to break wooden items faster, along with pumpkins.
- Sword - used to kill mobs faster (and break certain blocks faster, e.g. Cobweb).
- Hoe - used in farming to prepare ground.
- Shears - Used to harvest wool from sheep (other uses – collect leaves, tall grass and dead bushes).
- Flint and Steel - Used to set things on fire. Can be used to make a fire place, or alternatively the Nether Portal.
Each of these tools can be created using Sticks, and either Wooden Planks, Cobblestone, Iron Ingots, Gold Ingots or Diamonds, with the exception of shears which uses 2 iron ingots alone. Tools can be repaired on an Anvil using Experience and the material used (not the sticks).
- It is worth noting that some blocks, such as Obsidian, require a specific type of tool (in this case a Diamond pickaxe) to break in order to get the broken block in the inventory.
- If you put one tool next to the same tool the tool that appears is an upgraded tool