There are 6 forms of trees: oak, birch, pine/spruce, jungle, dark oak, and acacia. Oak and birch trees come in a variety of sizes, and jungle and pine trees do even more so. Thick jungle trees are often naturally found, being made by 4 saplings in a square shape. Oaks can grow tall, but not as tall as jungle trees. Birch trees appear as the same as small oak variants, with different wood. Pine and Jungle trees may also grow this way. Trees are naturally composed of wood blocks and leaves.
A typical, everyday tree. Its wood can be crafted into some Planks. These trees are arguably the most common, and as a bonus, are the simplest to farm. They are also one of the few kinds of trees that drop apples when the leaves are destroyed.
There are multiple forms of oak trees:
- Small Oak. Small oak trees are anywhere from three to five blocks high in the trunk, surrounded with leaves. Standing at the base of the tree, the player will always be able to chop all of the blocks down standing on the ground, without having to make any pillars to jump up on.
- Large Oak. A big version of the small oak with large branches, giving the ability to hold more leaves. Their main trunk can be as small as seven, and as tall as ten, not including branches. Many "branch" logs are found in the leaves not connected to the trunk at all. These tree are considered the most "difficult" to harvest because of the jumping and pillar making usually involved.
- Swamp Tree. An oak tree with vines covering it. It also only grows in Water. It is impossible to place saplings in water to make them grow, and the saplings of this tree grow into either one of the above forms.
- Oak Bush. This has only one block of wood and the rest are leaves, most of which touch the ground. The saplings from this tree grow into only the top two trees.
Similar to the oak, but rarer. Its wood can be crafted into bright wood planks, which show some almost unnoticeable brick-like markings. These trees have leaves very similar to oak trees. They can also be found in Birch Tree Biomes.
This tree comes in 3 different appearances:
- Spruce. These types of trees occur in Extreme Hills and Taigas, where they can have anywhere from a lot to a few leaves.
- Mega spruce. They are 2x2 trees with a few leaves on top, similar to regular spruce trees with few leaves. They occur in Mega Taiga biomes.
- Redwood. Appearing solely in Mega Spruce Taigas, they are 2x2 trees that are similar to regular spruce trees with many leaves.
While giant spruces resemble real-life redwoods more than the in-game redwoods do, the names are derived from their biomes (the hilly variant of Mega Spruce Taiga is Redwood Taiga Hills M).
Jungle Trees have 2 natural formations. One is a short tree that resembles an oak tree. Vines and Cocoa Pods can be found growing on these. The second is a very tall tree, with a 2x2 base. These tall trees can contain over a stack of logs each. Vines are usually found growing on jungle trees.
These trees spawn near the plains biome. These trees have 2x2 bases and can be as high as 16 blocks high. This is an excellent source of wood, should one need large amounts. Dark oak wood can be crafted into dark wood planks, which have a dark brown tint. These trees can only be grown by placing 4 Dark oak saplings in a 2x2 pattern.
These trees spawn in the Savanna biome. They have a reddish-grey outside and a red inside. When crafted into planks, the result is light red planks. Savanna villages are composed of this wood.