|Health Points:||300HP (150x )|
|Attack Strength:||Easy: 5HP (2.5x )
Normal: 8HP (4x )
+ Wither Debuff|
Hard: 12HP (6x ) + Wither Debuff
|Drops:||1 Nether Star|
|Location:||Anywhere it is created|
|First Appearance:||12w34a (disabled)|
The Wither is hostile to the player and all mobs except undead mobs (Skeletons, Zombies, Zombie Pigmen, Wither Skeletons and other Withers). When provoked by a skeleton or another Wither, they will only remain hostile toward each other for a moment before returning to friendly status. If spawned in The End, it will prefer to attack any nearby Endermen, but will attempt to pursue and attack the Ender Dragon if there are no nearby targets.
The Wither can move very quickly. Upon noticing a mob, the Wither attacks them with a projectile called the “Wither Skull”. Wither Skulls inflict a status effect called "Wither II" on Normal and Hard difficulties for 10 and 40 seconds, respectively. This effect is similar to Poison, except that it can kill the player and turns the health bar black, making it difficult to tell at a glance how many hearts are still full. The wither is able to break any block, except Bedrock and End Portal Frame. It can also destroy Obsidian, which is well known for it's immunity to TNT and long mining time.
Each head is fired individually, allowing a Wither to attack up to three different mobs at the same time, or fire very quickly on a single mob. The middle-head Wither shoots a blue Wither skull which will give the player a Wither effect, while its other heads shoot their own skulls. Withers need at least 5 block high airspace to fit but they can't be trapped (and suffocated) in smaller rooms. When attacked the Wither will break any block that comes into contact with it, except bedrock and end portal frame.
The Wither has an ability to destroy blocks, similar to the Ender Dragon's ability. When near any block that can be destroyed by a player, it will produce an audible smashing sound. For example, this could happen by having the Wither on one side of a wall, and the player on the other, so it would have to make a path through the wall to attack. The Wither will then instantly destroy a 3x3 hole in the wall to pass through it.
The Wither's boss health bar is only shown when a player is looking in a direction of a Wither, and it can also be seen through walls when the player is looking in the Wither's direction. When reaching half health, the Wither will gain the "Wither Armor" effect, which makes it immune to Arrows andPotions, but not melee attacks, as well as having a visual effect surrounding it, similar to that of a Charged Creeper. While in this state, the Wither cannot fly. The Wither, when calm, cannot fly; it simply hovers above the ground and cannot "jump" up one block. When angered by the player, the Wither will fly at the same height as the player. Like other undead mobs (zombies, skeletons, etc.), the Wither is harmed by Potions of Healing and healed by Potions of Harming. It also regenerates over time ( per second). The Wither will explode when it is done powering up; the player should steer clear when it's spawned.
Summoning the Wither
Note: The wither is not created in a crafting table. Instead, the components of the wither must be placed/stacked in a particular shape (similar to an Iron Golem), following the shape outlined in the table below.
*The last block placed MUST be a Wither Skeleton head, or this will not work.
|Wither Skeleton Head||Wither Skeleton Head||Wither Skeleton Head|
|Soul Sand||Soul Sand||Soul Sand|
- The name 'Wither' means dead, which refers to the materials to create one, which comes from Minecraft's "Hell", where supposedly dead souls go.
- The Wither had a glitch where it would spin around in circles while shooting Wither Skulls.
- There was a glitch where the Wither couldn't fly in Superflat worlds.
- Withers cannot be trapped inside any material, excluding bedrock (in creative mode).
- The wither skeleton skull can be placed with a Dispenser.
- There is a 2x2 Wither Painting that can be placed.
- It is possible to change the Wither's size using commands, similar to the Slime and the Magma Cube. It can become up to 256 blocks tall, but it won't attack.
- There was a glitch where the Wither could destroy the End portal, while the End portal is indestructible.
- If the player attempts to spawn the wither in peaceful mode, the blocks will stay there and not turn into the actual Wither.
- In the Minecraft 1.4 Update, The Wither would be able to ride a Minecart.
- The player can spawn the Wither horizontally, but it will always spawn vertically.
- The Wither can see the player, even if they have an invisibility potion effect.
- The Wither appears on all the faces of the Red Chiseled Sandstone.
- If the player is playing on Easy difficulty then the Wither will not shoot the blue Wither Skulls which give the Wither effect to the player.
- If the Wither is given a Name Tag, then the text that appears on the top of the screen will change to the name of the name tag given.
- The wither has the most health of any mob in Minecraft, with 300 HP.