|Health Points||20HP (10x )|
5HP (2.5x )
(Both of the below difficulties apply the Wither debuff.)
9HP (4.5x )
13HP (6.5x )
Wither Skeleton Head
Wither Skeletons will only spawn within Nether Fortresses as of the 1.4 prerelease, Dinnerbone might have added changes to this though. It is assumed however that they follow the same rules for spawning as blazes, which will only spawn naturally, and not from a spawn, when the pack spawn is selected within a nether fortress. From this pack spawn the mobs can be spawned in close to or even inside the fortress.
Unlike regular Skeletons, wither skeletons carry swords instead of bows. In appearance they are black and slightly taller than the usual Skeletons. If the player is hit by a Wither Skeleton, the player will be infected with the Wither Effect, which will slowly drain their health. Using a Skeleton Spawn-egg in Creative Mode in the Nether has a 75% chance of forming a Wither Skeleton instead of a regular Skeleton.
The wither skeleton is taller than the regular Skeleton and is slightly shorter than the Enderman making it the third tallest hostile mob in the game. It looks almost charred, possibly because of fire and lava. It holds a Stone Sword instead of a bow. They also have a smaller mouth about 1 pixel of a skin on one side.
- When on Normal and Hard difficulty the Wither Skeleton can put the Wither Effect on you when it attacks you.
- When you spawn a spider in the nether, there is a 2% chance of it spawning as a wither skeleton spider jockey.
- It is the only Nether mob that is not fire resistant.
- Wither Skeletons cannot spawn in the overworld, but can travel there through a Portal
- Due to the Wither Skeleton sharing its entity ID with Skeletons they have a bug where they run away from sunlight even though they cannot burn.
- Because of the same bug, they can spawn in a two block high space, despite being three blocks tall, and will suffocate.