8HP (4x )
2HP (1x )
|Spawn||Grass, in Forest Tundra and Taiga biomes|
|First Appearance||Beta 1.4|
mobs found typically in forest or snow biomes. A wild wolf will not attack the player unless attacked first. If the player uses bones on wolves, hearts shimmer around them for a second and they will either sit or follow its master around. The sign that a wolf is tamed is that a red collar apperes around its necks, and their eyes will change as seen in the picture above. In the Minecraft Pretty Scary Update, it is now possible to dye a wolf's collar. It takes a random number of bones (between 1 and 5) to tame a wolf. Once a wolf is tamed and following the player, if he/she is attacked by any aggressive mob (except Creepers, as the Wolf will die before it can even attack) or hits a mob with anything, the wolf will attack them and protect the owner from harm. If you accidentally hit a player in multiplayer, or the player hits you, the wolf will attack the player until it dies. If you were to carry a piece of any type of raw meat, wolves would rotate their heads to the right and beg. Giving two wolves raw meat will cause them to mate and produce a puppy. If you right click on an already existing grown wolf with a Spawn Wolf, it will also produce a puppy.Wolves are neutral
Tamed wolves can be instructed to sit, switching them from 'mobile' to 'stationary' by right-clicking on them. If the player was to be attacked, the wolf would go back to its mobile self to attack the mob. Wild wolves are easier to tame if a tamed wolf is already following you. There seems to be a popular belief that when taming wolves in SP (Single Player) and then switching to MP (Multiplayer) mode, and then switching back to SP mode, the wolves seems to be uncontrollable and will turn hostile towards the owner, jumping from an odd sitting position, but will still have the tamed appearance and will not growl like normal hostile wolves, if they hit them or give them bread to eat. If the wolf is sitting and begging, it is possible (but rare) that it will not follow the player. In this case, they may have to hit the wolf for it to begin to follow you. Hitting it with a weapon will do the same thing, but cause damage. If you hit a tamed wolf, it will not turn on you like a wild wolf would.
Neutral wolves attack sheep, leaving behind the wool but no experience orbs. Seeing a random wool block floating around is a near-sure sign that there are wolves in the area. If you attack a wild wolf, it will turn hostile and attack you, as well as the rest of the pack. Hostile wolves cannot be tamed. When you attack wild wolves and let your tamed wolves kill it, they will growl at you.
Wolves were introduced in the Beta 1.4 patch. Their breeding mechanic was added in Minecraft 1.1. Currently, unused wolf sounds are in the game's code, such as howling.
Wolves' collars can be dyed as of the 12w34a snapshot.
- Wolves take damage if they fall from a block of 3 or higher, drowning in water, touching a cactus, catching on fire, or touching lava. When they receive damage, their tails will lower and they whimper as well. They whimper when they die.
- If you had hit yourself with an arrow during a playthrough in a previous version of Minecraft, your own tamed wolf/wolves would have attacked you.
- Wolves will happily follow you into the Nether. When you enter, they will join you from the Overworld. However, in the Xbox 360 Edition, wolves can NOT follow you into the Nether.
- Much alike the behavior of Iron Golems, Wolves will not attack Creepers.
- When tamed wolves get out of water, they shake all the water off themselves.
- Unlike other passive mobs, Wolves can be bred an infinite amount of times.
- On survival, an aggressive wolf can't hurt the player. It has to be on Hard mode to hurt the player.
- The only way to heal a dog is to feed it cooked meat. The only way to figure out how much health a dog has is by looking at it while it is still. A dog at full health will have it's tail higher than it's head, and a dog near death will have a very low tail.
- If a wolf gets wet, it might turn black until they are in a dry place and shake the water off.